Chapter 28 : The Hallowed Temple

Goldie's heart rate soared and the adrenaline surged through his system. He puffed frantically, desperately hoping to reach Skid Row as he bounded along Ninth St. Normally onlookers would be surprised by this spectacle but in LA people were quick to turn a blind eye on their homeless cousins. Sections of the street were dimly lit but it was still a very public area.

Goldie decided to change direction and use a shortcut to reach Skid Row quicker, heading North on San Julian St. He may have been thin but he was not quite at peak fitness, with a rough diet of alcohol and tobacco with the odd crusty mixture of protein and plastic to provide him with sustenance. Goldie was used to walking long distances, shuffling but not running. In contrast, I had been working on my host body, spending months practising martial arts, working on adrenaline levels, boosting serotonin and dopamine to a peak that even Adam's body had become trim and muscular. I was also merging my demonic powers effectively, allowing the metaphysical boost of speed to seep into Adam's muscles, forcing him to run faster. Fallon had a very similar connection which meant that while Goldie had the presumption he was doing well, running desperately at a frantic pace with neither of his pursuers in sight, we were merely toying with him.

We darted along the streets, the thrill of the pursuit was glowing throughout my body as the testosterone levels surged, along with my demonic essence. I looked over longingly at Fallon, seeing the rising hunger in her eyes. The blood surged in every fiber of my rented being, consuming my loins and feeling my genitals swell on the verge of ecstasy. I wanted her more than anything at this moment and her look reciprocated the same but we had other pleasure to indulge in first.

Running past and puffing wildly ahead, we located Goldie. He was shifting in between a chain of dry-cleaners and launderettes, used clothing stores that had all closed for the evening. Only the odd drunk and homeless person interrupted a fine and flawless ambush, but we waited.

Goldie finally ran out of breath, less than a few blocks away from 'home'. He should have at least found a crowded area, he could have held out that long and we would have changed our actions. But I remained determined and edging towards an animal-like frenzy. I cast another deliberate glance at Fallon and could still see the voracious longing in her pupils. The puppet mistress behind the human marionette had blazing eyes of primitive desire.

It's not too late to turn back.

Rudely interrupting my beautiful thoughts, the voice of human reason – my lesser being managed to temporarily shake my strange hold and attempt to be a conscience.

You are truly a feeble and pathetic creature.

Adam still struggled again, summoning up all his strength.

Yeah well at least I have your attention. Didn't think I had the strength, did we? Go on, give him some money and leave the poor guy alone. He's had a rough time of it.

I pushed every squirming part of the mortal back into the big empty, feeling a soulful paralysis envelop my previous host.

That's quite enough from you. Need I remind you I can find other 'loved ones' of yours in Australia and let you watch as I do everything to them.... Besides, I am merely 'liberating' Goldie here.

Goldie tried to catch his breath, noticing the bags of rubbish and the distinct lack of proximity to Skid Row. This was the moment that Fallon and I decided to swoop.

Adam had retreated back - the spiritual equivalent of a spurned dog whimpering in the corner.

Sometimes less is more, in this case I could hint at the bloodletting, the horrifying yet fantastic torture as we together stifled Goldie's screams, the tearing of limbs, skin and gorging while Goldie could only look on in terror, and that knowing there were people nearby yet without functioning vocal cords, he could not even whimper. Only know that he died painfully and we had some immense fun, collapsing in each other's arms in clichéd ecstasy near a rotting corpse.

I could hear Adam crying out in agony and smiled to myself, knowing it would discourage future outbursts.

Yes I am a monster by most standards, and I would not deny it either. I feel like I was simply acting without the strictures of civility or the guilt of religion and merely doing anything the more pagan humans would have done without an organized more unionized straight-jacket of a life that seems to plague most of the god-fearing citizens of the world.

****

I found myself sobering up from a red haze, body still entwined with Fallon's vessel in a fancy five star bedroom. She stroked the back of my neck. "Are we satisfied yet?"

"Never" I replied. To which she smiled.

"However, in light of my constant need for sustenance, that was a remarkable evening."

"I remember when nights like those happened every week." She lamented.

"Times have certainly altered. The veil is nearly lifted and our sense of anonymity appears to be almost certainly compromised." I said.

"Belief and its power diminish as the masses continue to be cynical and pursue more commercial satisfaction. While at times it seems they look the other way..." She sighed.

"They are no longer true believers." I completed her lament. I still managed to submit a chuckle. " I do miss the good old days: when we were at our peak."

Fallon started to get dressed.

"You've still got plenty of strength." She commented.

"I was going to say the same." I said.

I threw back on a business suit.

"It's time to gather some more followers."

"Where would you suggest?" She enquired.

"Back to the puritan bible thumpers: A magical land of blind faith and cultists."

At this point we parted and remained optimistic for another night of frivolity in a more foreign place.