Chapter Ten - Part Two

Chapter Ten: A Rude Interruption - Part Two

The air grew hot an instant before a searing red energy splashed over Evan, throwing him off his feet. His breath left him when he crashed back down several yards away. He fought against the pain writhing through his body, a sensation that felt like he'd swallowed hot lava. His blurry eyes saw the huntsman approaching, dark smoke trailing from the golden sceptre. Evan lay as long as he dared, attempting to master himself, before climbing to his feet.

A shrill cry came from the side as Sam finished a flurry of strikes on his opponent, who crumpled to the ground in pained groans, reaching for his bloodied legs. Sam shot a look to James, who was backing away from the sword adlaz. Sam leaped towards James, cutting through the air like a javelin.

Evan's focus shifted back to the huntsman, who was helping the hammer adlaz to his feet. When the adlaz retrieved his large hammer, they both began their approach on Evan.

Let them come, Evan thought. Let them see what fate they bring upon themselves.

A pounding sensation pressed against his skull. An image came to him; a horrifying shadow stained on his vision. He shook his head and blinked the image away, refocusing on the approaching enemies. Another shock of energy punched him from within, causing him to falter, but he refused to let it out. He would deal with them through his own means.

Evan sheathed his sword over his back. He raised an arm and called forth the power of wind sorcery. Sorcery had always been less reliable than the blade when his emotions were high, but it was also the more destructive. And also the more satisfying.

The huntsman raised his golden sceptre, channelling his own attack. He pointed an arm towards Sam, sending the hammer adlaz to attack.

A spear of spiralling wind came down from the sky and circled Evan's arm. He raised his other arm and the wind strengthened, building up around his entire body. Through the howling wind he could see the huntsman's sceptre was glowing. Evan maintained the spiralling power, focussing on strengthening it before releasing. He would just have to release his attack before the huntsman did.

Flashes of black lightning weaved through the spiralling wind, shocking Evan. The throbbing sensation returned, bringing with it a familiar presence. A presence that Evan had attempted to hold back so many times before. As the black tendrils increased, the whirlwind faltered, and Evan knew he had to release it now before it got out of control. Before he lost all control.

He finally threw his arms forward with a great cry, and sent the tornado flying towards his enemy.

The huntsman struck his glowing sceptre into the ground. When the vortex met him, a sphere of blue energy blasted out from the sceptre, breaking the heavy gusts apart. An adlaz nearby was not as protected, and was thrown several yards away. The huntsman looked up from his sceptre and smirked at Evan.

He charged at the huntsman, his anger helping him fight through the exhaustion in his mind. His arms ached from the sorcery he had wielded, but he had no time to recover.

A hazy air gathered around the golden sceptre, followed by a rumbling whine that sounded like a far away engine. Red sparks spat out from the jewel at the tip, and a fiery sphere appeared. Tendrils of electricity fluctuated from the spinning ball of fire, which shot out towards Evan.

Evan planted his feet and raised his sword, catching the energy ball on the wide blade. He gripped the sword tight as blasts of hot light blew around him. When the air dissipated, he saw his feet had shifted back several inches in the dirt.