Chapter Thirteen - Part One

Chapter Thirteen: An Eventful Dinner - Part One 

Wiping a hand over the steamed mirror, James Island studied his naked form in the cleared section of glass.

The tension of the day had been washed off with a long, hot shower, and made him realise just how dirtied and battered he'd become. Long ringlets of wet blond hair hung over his reddened face. He stuck out his chin and noted the small scar on the bridge of his nose–from a staff swung by a guard on the roof of the Laillen Technical warehouse. That one had stung. The long gashes down his left shoulder, a gift from an inhabitant of the Grillock Caves, had crusted over and only caused a slight pain when he moved his arm. Sam's healing touch had done a good job, James mused. Perhaps the influence of magic wasn't so bad after all.

The thought made him consider his own demise, two years earlier. Healed by some Dark Magic which had also taken away his memories. Was there still some of that influence over him? Effecting him like that spell over Tyken Town had effected people's focus of him? He shook away the thoughts with a shudder.

Tabetha had no clothes fit for men around the house, and so James had to re-dress into his dusty long-shorts. Atleast he had recently bought a new shirt. He wondered if the lack of men's clothes in the house meant that Tabetha was single. Then he wondered if he should be thinking such things with Sam around. The two of them certainly seemed close.

After dressing, he ran his fingers through his hair and attempted to make himself somewhat presentable, and after giving himself one last cursory look, he left the bathroom.

Waking along the carpeted corridor, James made his way down the stairs to the main living room. There he saw Evan and Tabetha's aunt, Hettie, sitting with tea cups in their hands. The sight gave James pause, and he considered what a bizarre and unexpected moment he was witnessing. Evan, a saucer in one hand and carefully sipping his tea with the other, while staring blankly ahead, was enough to make James chuckle.

"Oh, you're out," Tabetha called from the kitchen to the left.

Through the large arch that separated the kitchen to the main room, James saw her stepping around Sam, who was busy over two pots on the stove. A warm smell of toasted bread and something lemony wafted through the room, a light smoke drifting out of the open window in the kitchen.

"Shower's free, Sam," James said, "if you wanted to have one too."

Sam shook his head, still with his back to him. "After dinner, I will. Until then, I've got my hands full here."

"Here, James,", Tabetha said as she picked up a cup. "I was not sure if you want a mavvo or galo nut tea. I go with galo. Thought you might have... sweet-tooth."

She handed James the tea and gave him a warm smile. Her heavy lids gave her a sleepy, almost seductive look, which momentarily held James.

"You're so kind," James said, and then wondered why he had said that. It came out so formal and awkward. He felt his face redden.

Tabetha rubbed his arm, leaning closer. "And you're so lovely." She turned and hurried back into the kitchen, and added, "Dinner almost ready."

Her quick movements reminded James of the first time they met her at her flower stall, and he got the sense that rushing about and maintaining order was a big part of Tabetha's personality. He couldn't imagine her sitting and relaxed.

"Can I help?" James offered.

"No, no," came her response from the kitchen. "Don't be silly. You sit and relax."

Evan was sat on the far side of the sofa, away from Hettie's armchair. James sat on the sofa end near Hettie. He offered her a smile, but the old lady did not acknowledge his presence.