Chapter Twenty Eight - Part Two

Chapter Twenty Eight: The Iron Forge - Part Two

The worker remained frozen, his eyes flickering over them. He was perhaps in his fifties – Evan couldn't determine human ages very well – with grey hair and a powerful frame.

"Why would you have to hurt me?" the man asked, regaining some of his composure.

Evan couldn't read his thoughts - his gift wasn't present but even so he could tell the man was thinking fast while appearing relaxed.

"We just want to ask a few questions," Liana said. She lowered her sword slightly. "And if you answer them honestly we won't have any problems."

"Public relations are three floors below," the man said coolly.

"Well we're here now," Liana said, "might as well make ourselves comfortable. Now tell us, what goes on in these upper levels?"

A low humming of machinery was coming from beyond the room, seeming to come from all around. Evan looked over the banks of consoles, though the technology was mostly unfamiliar to him.

"You're from those campaigners," the grey-haired man said. "The ones that wrote those articles on us, not believing our full disclosure to the public."

"So you don't have anything to hide?" Liana asked.

"We've gone on record explaining our procedures here. We've been welcomed by most of the town, why can't you see we have no ill intentions?"

"You're stalling," Liana said. "What exactly is this control room for?"

Evan stepped closer to the large window, seeing more of the huge room beyond. "To oversee all this," he said quietly, taking in what he saw.

Liana said something to the man, and he went to the window beside Evan. Liana remained behind him at all times, her sword still on him. A silence fell over them as they looked out.

The room beyond was long and narrow, divided into six rows that ran the length of the room. Figures in protective clothing stood at the beginning of each row, their backs to them. They were firing rifles into holographic targets at the far end. Beams of blue light shot from some rifles, others firing yellow plasma bolts, along with more conventional bullets. A dozen feet above the firing range, a metal walkway, strung from the ceiling, led to a door on the far end.

"Just testing the wares?" Liana said, turning to the man. He remained resolute. "Looks like a lot of effort just for checks."

It must have been very loud in there, though Evan could only here dull, muted sounds when he strained his ears to listen. The men with the rifles were not just firing at the targets. They moved swiftly, reloading and switching between firearms with great intent. A tall man in bulky armour walked up and down the ranks, gesturing as he called out to them.

"These are soldiers in training," Evan said, frowning.

"That's right," Liana said, eyeing the grey-haired man beside them. "These weapons are not meant for anyone else. Jaxx has his own private army."

The hidden army, Evan thought with a start, his heart racing.

"You cannot prove any of that," the man said with a defiant air.

"But your computer could," Liana said. The screen on the desk was facing them, and she only had to take three steps to see it better.

"Now that's confidential," the man said sternly. He attempted to move closer but Evan raised his sword. The man jolted to a stop, clearly looking flustered. "You have no right-"