5. A little light in the darkness (Chuck Grant).

Disclaimer!: the characters in this story are based on the characters of the television show, not the real men and this is in no way meant offensively or disrespectfully to those heroes.

Chuck could feel his hands trembling, he was sitting in the back of a truck, he had no idea where he was going. They just told him it was urgent and that it was about his wife, you. He held his left hand in his right, thumb grazing over the cold wedding band around his finger. Every possible scenario was running through his head, were you killed? Heavily injured? Were you taken as a prisoner by the Germans? He tried to remain calm as well as he could. You would be fine, he told himself. You were not one to get yourself into trouble.

As the truck came to a halt, he was trying to figure out where he was. Why were people being so mysterious? As he stepped out of the vehicle he got a sinking feeling in his gut. They were at the hospital. He ran his hand over his face. He hadn't seen you for a month because you were both in a different company. He tried to be realistic about things. Maybe it was a minor injury. It could also be a shrapnel wound. Or maybe a bullet had barely grazed you.

The sergeant walked into the hospital and immediately recognized Doc Roe. "Eugene," he breathed out a sigh of relief. The medic looked up at your husband, "Grant, hey." Chuck tried look at Eugene's expression, but it was unreadable.
"What happened to her? Is she alright? Please, Eugene," he practically begged the medic. He needed to know something.
"Come on, I'll get you to her." Eugene said. Did this mean you were alive? It had to right?
As he walked into the room you were sharing with three other women his heart stopped for a second. You were laying in the bed and it seemed that you were completely fine.
You beamed when you saw your husband and sat up. "Chuck, honey, hey."
He approached the bed and cupped your cheeks in his hands "Darling, you're alright, thank God." He pecked your lips, before he pulled away. His eyes scanned over your body, looking for an injury of some sort. "You are alright, aren't you?" You smiled at his concern, "Yes, I am."
He frowned, "Then what are you doing here? Are you sick?"
You shook your head, but your smile fell. Your eyes started tearing up. "(Y/N), what's wrong?" He asked worriedly.
"They're sending me home Chuck, I'm not allowed to be a combat nurse anymore." He looked at you in surprise, he was probably even more confused now than he had been before.
"You'll have to explain that a little more darling," he stated as he sat down at the edge of your bed, taking your hand in his.
"I wasn't feeling too well for the last couple of days, I couldn't seem to keep my breakfast down," you explained. You chuckled as you saw his scolding look. "I know I should have told you, but I wanted to see if it was really something and get a doctor's diagnoses before I got you all worried." He shook his head "You should have told me. Because actually, worrying about you is one of my favorite things to do," he smiled, kissing your cheek. You rolled your eyes, "you're such a charmer."

"Hon? You still haven't told me why they're sending you home." Grant grinned at you. You couldn't contain yourself anymore, joy spreading over your face. "I'm pregnant, Chuck."
He looked at you in shock. "We're having a baby?" He asked. You nodded, smiling. He smiled right back at you, wrapping his arms around your neck as he kissed your forehead.
"That's why they pulled me back immediately, I'm not allowed to be in battle any more," you explained quietly. "I can't believe it."
"Are you happy?" You asked, smiling shyly at your husband. This time, it was his turn to nod, pulling away from you.

"I can 't believe we're having a kid," he grinned. You put your hand on his cheek, caressing the skin with your thumb. You smiled at him lovingly "It feels like a dream." He muttered. "It's our little bundle of light in all of this darkness," you smiled.

(A/N): Okay so I was kind of struggling with the pronouns for this one, because I know some people who can get pregnant also use pronouns they/them or he/him. Let me know what pronouns you think would be best for this one! I'm sorry if this offended or triggered anyone in some kind of way. Please let me know and I'll adjust my story :)