3| leaving the haven

The hobbits chattered amongst themselves excitedly as I led everyone to a grassy opening. The leaves filtered the golden sunlight as it travelled to the ground, the warm wind blowing my hair back slightly, making my dress billow and ripple. By then, Aragorn had left to meet with Arwen.

Bringing my two pointer fingers to my mouth, I once again released a loud whistle, this time alternating in pitch and volume, almost like a song. There was a moment of silence, as everyone waited in anticipation. Suddenly, the familiar sound of a howl rang through the air, carried by the wind.

Beside me, Legolas raised his eyebrows, and the hobbits fell silent. Gimli raised his axe instinctually, but I wasn't worried.

A soft padding sound could be heard from the woods, drawing closer by the second.

Finally, emerging from the shroud of the woods was an enormous hound. It's fur was blacker than the night, shimmering in the sun like obsidian of the Earth. It's movements were fluid, seemingly effortless, and as it padded up to me, its head was level with mine, a pair of golden eyes gazing back at me.

Nudging his head gently into me, I chucked, running my fingers through his smooth black fur.

Behind me, the hobbits were speechless, their jaws agape at the sight of such a majestic beast.

Legolas drew in a breath.

"Nan belain (By the Valar)! It cannot be."

Gandalf answered everyone's questions.

"Indeed it is. Aldion, descendant of Huan*, Wolfhound of Oromë. He has quite an established bond with Daeriel here."

Gimli looked astounded, his mouth wide open, eyes as wide as saucers.

"They say it cannot be tamed," he murmured, "that no man can kill it."

"I'd like to see someone try." I scoffed. 

I turned back to Aldion, who sat down upon his haunches, head held high

"Aldion will be joining us on our journey." I announced. "He is a loyal companion of mine, and has been with me since the beginning."

"I'm certainly not complaining." Pippin commented with a grin. "The more, the merrier!"

I nodded in agreement, my lips curling at the corners.

As if right on time, Elrond emerged on the stone path, his posture tall and the air around him reinforcing his regality, his hands clasped in front of him. Alongside him stood Aragorn. I could sense there was some tension between the two.

"I suggest you all get some rest, for your journey will begin tomorrow." Elrond advised.

As everyone started to walk away, Aragorn approached me.

"Mae govannen, Aldion," he greeted the wolf-hound with a smile, before turning to me. "Shall we talk?"

I nodded, patting Aldion on the back before leaving to follow Aragorn.