Alive

The Predator fired a warning shot after dragging the man right out of the driver's seat of the RV, but I was too busy trying to regain my composure while it felt as if my stomach was in my throat. I was hunched over, my hands on my knees as I calmly breathed.

  "Shoot him! Shoot him!" The long-haired man screamed at first but then began to shout 'no' over and over again. The alien hit my shoulder, then pointed at the people. He wanted me to talk to them.

  "Lower your weapons."

  "Leila?"

  "Hey, Dr. Brackett! Glad to see you esca- Oh!" I flinched when the big guy smacked me upside the head and grunted. "Right. Stick to the objective. I need you all to lower your weapons."

  "What? Are you crazy?!"

  "He just wants the gauntlet, that's all. Hand it over and-"

  "Leila, since when were you on his side?" Brackett questioned, and I put my left hand on my hip while raising my right.

  "Holy shit! Is that a fuckin' robot arm?" One of the men popped off, and I nodded.

  "Oh, my God. Equal parts stupid and smart." Brackett looked between the alien and I, quickly piecing together that the Predator was using the tech in my arm as leverage.

  "So glad you remembered that. Now." I pointed at the ground, and there was hesitation as they laid their guns on the asphalt. The big guy nudged me, and I sighed, sliding off the side of the RV before walking toward the group of humans. "Hey, kid." I tried to give a friendly smile to the boy hiding behind Brackett. "I'm gonna need that gauntlet you have on your arm-"

  "Cock! Cock! Fuck! Dick! Suck! Suck my cock! Fuck! Goddamn it!" One male smacked himself on the forehead while yelling, and the blond man suddenly bent down as the Predator had his attention on the yelling man. Brackett grabbed the boy and ran for the school across the street as McKenna shot at the alien.

  I took cover behind the RV while the others ran for the school, shots ringing out until a loud explosion shook the air. Taking in a deep breath, I sighed, looking at my arm as I clenched my fist.

  The sooner that overgrown bastard got his gauntlet, the sooner he'd move on.

  Activating the cloaking device, I ran out from behind the RV and dashed right into the school, passing by the burning grass and bushes. I moved through the hallways, looking for the little boy wearing high-grade weaponry like a fashion accessory. Hearing arguing voices, I followed the hurried and hushed tones to a hallway of lockers where Brackett and McKenna were fighting over what to do and where to go.

  The boy, however, was standing a few feet away, and I snuck up behind him. Crouching, I spoke quietly to where the two bickering adults couldn't hear me.

  "Don't scream." I whispered. "I need you to hand over the gauntlet to me, okay? They'll all be fine if you just give it to me." The little boy glanced over his shoulder, looking rather calm despite not being able to see me.

  "Promise?"

  "Cross my heart. All he wants is what's on your arm." He looked at his arm while rubbing his ear. The boy then held out his arm to me, and I felt relief as my fingers wrapped around the metal device and slid it off his arm. "Thank you." I whispered, standing back up and quietly backing away as the kid gently waved, still rubbing his ear with his other hand.

  Going around the corner, I heard McKenna ask who the boy was waving at, but I quickly hurried away. The Predator would no doubt follow the signal his gauntlet was sending him, but now that I had it, he'd find me instead of the boy.