Chapter 8

Merlin and Arthur sat in the après ski bar of the resort, esconced in a dark corner. The bar itself was gleaming sleek black marble and lined with tastefully back lit high end spirits from all the corners of the galaxy. Bar stools made of study platinum with dark leather covers lined one end of it, and the rest of the room itself was dotted with comfortable chairs made from the same black material around low black coffee tables. One of the walls was made of a single slab of the same dark marble and down it trickled a waterfall, covered by a thin plain of glass and lit by small white spotlights. Walking in to the room had made Merlin feel even more like a country bumpkim than the rest of the ski resort had: this was a place for sleek city types who oozed effortless wealth: not simple charity boys from Ealdor. He would have walked out had it not been for the reassuring smile of the man beside him as the two walked in.

----

"You are not sleeping on the sofa." Excalimed Arthur, he had stolen Merlin's bed once before and refused to do it again.

"Yes I am." insisted Merlin.

"No" Arthur shook his head and banged his glass on the table for emphasis.

"Yes I can't make the galactive space prince whatever sleep on the sofa. What if you get a crick in your neck? I'm sure that coulnts as damaging royal property. I could be hanged." Arthur considered it.

"Not for a crick, but if I fell off and hit my head on the coffee table, that would be held against you. And I might. I've had a bit to drink." Arthurs 'a bit' was half a bottle of wine and two - three, as he tipped his head back to swallow the dark liquid, and Merlin's drunk addleld brain did next to nothing to stop himself staring at the movememnt of Arthur's throat - straight rums. Merlin had stopped trying to keep up: he drakn so seldolmly that his ability to hold his drink and stay cohereant was sadly lacking in comparison to the Prince.

"Right, so you can't sleep on the sofa." Pointed out Merlin.

As the pair had been arguing, a young man had approached the pair unnoticed and he stood nervously by them, listening to the debate, before speaking to Arthur.

"If you come and share my bed tonight then no-one has to sleep on the sofa." He said. Merlin and Arthur fell silent and stared at the stranger. The awkwardness of the silence was deafening. It dragged on as the man's pale skin blushed bright red.

"I mean... um... sorry... I was joking." He ran a nervous hand through his black curls.

"Okay," said Arhtur in a regal tone that suggested the interloped should leave. The stranger smiled a little and spread his hand and arms.

"Arthur, it's me. Mordred. You remember?" he said hopefully.

"Ah. Yes of course!! Mordred. How are you?" said Arthur, going along with the stronger's introduction.

"I knew you'd remember!! People said you wouldn't but I know you better." Smiled the pale young man, taking a seat opposite the sofa the pair was sharing.

"Prince Arthur saved my life. I lived on New Nova Scotia and he saved me from raiders when he was serving with the 3rd Mercury Regiment." He gushed at Merlin, with an undercut tone of pride.

"...Sure." Responded Merlin. Mordred scowled at him but turned back to Arthur with bling smile in place, clearly dismissing him for not being entranced by his tale of Arthurs daring do.

"How have you been? I've fallen into father's old business and I'm now heading up the acquisitions department of NNS Banking." He spoke as he puffed out his chest, expecting the prince to be impressed at this title.