Chapter 8

How long have I been sitting here in the car? 1.5- 2 hours? It is starting to rain.

I will smoke another cigarette and then will probably head home. I'm exhausted. And he is probably not in the gym today anyway.

He became colder to me after that day in the restaurant. On the outside everything was fine. We talked and laughed, we kissed, we had sex. But I felt that he was not as affectionate as he was before. His kisses were not as passionate. I thought that with time everything would get back to normal. Then he started coming later at night, and I felt a smell of someone's perfume on his clothes. Then one day while he was taking a shower, a text message came from some Elizabeth, "Am I gonna see you tonight?"

Then I had enough.

He came out of the shower. And there I was standing and waiting for him and I bet I had a very angry face at that time.

"What?" he asked. " If you needed a bathroom you should have knocked," he said apologetically.

"Me waiting for the bathroom? Oh no, no. There is some Elizabeth texting and asking you if she is gonna see you tonight?" I raised my hand and showed him his phone with the text message.

"Ohh, the Elizabeth. Yes, yes. We had to talk to her about business. Totally forgot."

This answer made me even angrier. "Business?" Along with this question his phone flew straight, aiming to hit his face a few feet away. He bent and it hit the door, making some decent dent in it. But nevertheless, it didn't stop my angry outburst. "You had to talk to her about business??? Since when are you a fucking businessman??? Ahh??? Oh, your business is to get into another girl's pants? Is that your fucking business?!"

He listened silently and after a pause told me in a calm voice, "Well, I'm sorry, I'm not as talented as your ex-boyfriend."

"What, does it have to do with that? All I was asking from you was loyalty."

"You don't even remember what you were just saying to me, don't you? Anyway, let's just live apart for some time, then we will talk."

"Live apart for some time? Oh, poor baby, you need some space, right? " I sounded really sarcastic. "Yes, honey, take some break from this toxic relationship... You need to think things through. To figure things out, to decide what you really want in life. This relationship is not an easy thing."

"Lola, you talking about relationships? I'm the first boyfriend you ever lived with."

"It is because I am very selective."

"It is because you are full of bullshit."

"What? I'm full of bullshit?"

"Yes, you are. Pretty, spoiled with attention, manipulative bitch. And the worst thing is that you believe is that you're so righteous. You always see faults in others, but when something is your fault, you poor girl deserves forgiveness and kisses, because poor you are just suffering from your own spoiled character. And you overcome your own flaws like a hero with defiance, but nobody else has a right to point at your imperfections. Only you have a right to point at flaws of other people, and you never miss a chance to do that."

I wanted to fight back, but couldn't find any arguments. He packed his bag and left. I sat down and repeated in my head what he just told me. I repeated it over and over again as if I were afraid I may forget some details.