B2: Chapter 1 - The First Day of School - II

Lily fussed over every inch of her, making terse noises of disapproval. Natalie fidgeted in place while Lily cleaned up her face. She sighed. "You look dreadful. How on earth did you get this dirty in half an hour?"

  "Percy wanted to show me something out in the woods."

  Lily frowned. "You know the rules." She glanced at the clock. "We don't have time for this. We should have left five minutes past. The bus will arrive shortly. Gather your things."

  Natalie reluctantly took off her boots and dug her shoes out of the closet. Her battered old pink backpack hung at the back at the closet, but she couldn't take that. That was her kid backpack. She wasn't a kid anymore.

  She strapped on her new pack, green as the small forest near their home. Percy fluttered over to sit on her shoulder, rubbing his head against her ear. He wanted to come, but she knew that wouldn't be allowed. No way she could get away with bringing a hawk with her.

  <You have to stay, Percy,> she said. Percy fluttered back to his perch by the rear window, eyeing her with disappointment. <I know. I want you to come too. It's gonna be so boring.>

  "What was that, dear?" Lily asked, coming back into the room with a packed lunch.

  "I'm just talking to Percy."

  Lily glanced at the hawk. "How is he?"

  "He's sad he can't come along." Before Lily could say anything, Natalie shook her head. Her hair swung around in front of her face, reminding her what they'd changed (or let grow out, in this case). The little things that helped her look different than old photos anyone might dig up. I kinda miss having short hair though. It's so much easier to take care of. "I know, I know. It's not safe."

  "It's Kenni's day out. I'll be here after I drop you off," said Lily. "I can keep him company if he wants."

  <Do you want to hang out with Lily?> Natalie asked. Percy's head tilted slightly to the side. <She's not that bad.>

  If hawks could sigh, Natalie would have sworn he did.

  "He's happy to have you around."

  "Shouldn't you two be leaving?" asked Kendra, entering the front room with her steaming mug of tea in hand.

  "Yes," Lily answered irritably. "Do you have everything?"

  "Just a sec."

  Natalie reached out with her mind and plucked up her purse by the strap, neatly pulling it off the coat rack and into the air. It swung wide as it flew across the room, nearly clipping Lily before it landed on Natalie's shoulder. She took the sack lunch Lily had prepared and dropped it inside, where it joined a multitude of objects buried inside. At a glance, she saw her gemstone collection, the tuft of Gwen's hair, her mother's locket and her father's old drumsticks on top, and plenty more underneath.

  Lily frowned again, which was quickly becoming her default expression around Natalie. "You really should put your lunch in your backpack. How are you going to take it out in front of everyone?"

  "I don't want it to get squished," said Natalie. "Everything in here stays perfect."

  Kendra sighed. "It'll be fine, Lily. She knows not to withdraw it in public."

  Natalie walked to the door and pulled it open, letting the bright sunlight and the sudden harsh sounds of the city assault their senses. When the house was sealed, it was perfectly quiet, but once a door was open there was no stopping it without giving themselves away.

  "So are we going or what?"