Chapter 21 - Asher

PRESENT

I'm not surprised when the chatter I hear coming from inside immediately stops as I open the door to Fighter's Den. All the guys are here today, and while that works out in my favour for what I need to do, it feels awkward as fuck to have everyone's eyes on me. I haven't seen anyone since my exhibition match and the way I acted that day was fucked up to say the least. The guys look like they don't know what to expect from me and I can't say I blame them. I'll deal with it soon enough but there's something I need to take care of right away.

My eyes zero in on Nate who has his arms crossed as he eyes me warily. He still looks pissed off but he doesn't exactly tell me to fuck off when I approach him so I take that as my in.

"Can we talk?" I ask quietly enough for his ears only.

He hesitates a moment before tipping his chin down. I lead him away from the rest of the guys who are pretending like they're getting into gear and not eavesdropping on what's about to happen. I hold back a snort. Pussies.

Nate doesn't say anything as he leans against the wall and crosses his legs at the ankle. I would think he didn't give a single fuck about fixing shit but one of his legs keeps bouncing—his nervous tell. Did the fucker forget I know him too well?

"I'm in trouble." I start. I'll build up to my apology, feeling the need to explain myself first. Yeah, I regret how shit went down but he needs to understand where I'm coming from too. "It's bad, Nate. Worse than last time."

His cool guy facade drops instantly and he pushes off the wall, straightening up. "How can it be worse than last time? Jesus, what are they doing to you?"

"You already know Christian is probably looking for me." We share a grim look. "As if that isn't bad enough, Mike and Nora are trying to con two gangs this time instead of one. They've fucked over these two gangs before too so it's risky even before I do this job."

He blinks in disbelief. "You're telling me you have three fucking street gangs that have motive against your birth parents? And they're hiding behind you as fucking usual?"

I nod, not knowing what else to say. He runs a hand through his hair, opening his mouth and closing it again and coming up short.

"Three gangs, Asher. And you're right in the middle of all three. You'll...you'll die. There's no other outcome."

Aria said the same thing. I nod again and he swallows harshly, eyes screwing shut.

"Fuck." He whispers. "Did you take it? The job?"

"I had to." At my words his eyes flash open again and he looks ready to rip me a new one until I hold my hand up, explaining myself. "I've been trying to get them to fuck off for a whole year. I put up too many fights to count, Nate. They won the second they got my dad into his car accident and I knew that was just the beginning. I fucking tried, man."

"That was them?" His face whitens considerably. "Fucking monsters. What the fuck is wrong with them?"

"They won't stop at anything. If they went after my parents they could go after anyone else who matters to me—you, Aria, your parents, your sisters. That's why I tried to keep you away. I just didn't want anything to happen to you under my watch. What kind of brother would that make me, man?"

"Fuck." He drags his other hand through his hair and tugs. I watch him as he stares a hole into the ground, the gears turning in his head. He's trying to think of a way out but we both know we can't find one. His frustration gets the better of him and he kicks the wall behind him so loud that the rest of the guys whip their heads toward us, no doubt wondering what the fuck is happening. I give them a look that tells them to stay away and turn back to Nate. He bites on his fist, shaking his head slowly. "Fuck, Ash."

Path To Realization (Fighter's Den, #4)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara