Chapter 27

Crack.

A fist-sized hole now decorated the trunk of a tree in front of me. My fist hurt like a bitch, but it was worth it. It made me feel better, at least for a second or two.

Then I went back to my confused state. Damn.

It's been a day since my conversation with Mom and Ulric. He was still lying in the hospital and I hadn't seen him since. I didn't want to. Mom had informed me he'd been asking about me, but she wasn't stupid enough to try to force me to visit him.

I didn't care how changed he acted or seemed to be. To me he would always be the father who was never around and the husband who beat his wife. Two things I could never forgive or forget.

Mom wasn't as reserved as me, but even she had never been alone inside a room with him. Whenever she went to visit him, Dr. Goode was right beside her.

Blake hadn't been to see Ulric either. Even though it was his duty as the Alpha, he was trying to postpone it for as long as possible. I think he was trying to get his and his wolf's anger under control. Otherwise, he just might kill Ulric himself. Not that I'd terribly mind.

However, last night I had a strange dream. I'd been hunted and in the end it turned out that Ulric was the one hunting me. I knew it was just a dream, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. What if it was a warning sign from the Moon Goddess? Maybe she was trying to tell me something?

Ever since then I couldn't help wonder if Ulric was the person after me. We didn't share any attachment, and he was strangely interested in me ever since he woke up. Could it be that Ulric was the one who wanted me dead?

I hadn't told anyone about my suspicion yet, as I had no proof. Even I wasn't stupid enough to just flat out accuse Ulric of trying to kill me. Although it might feel satisfying at first, it would only lead to unnecessary problems.

"Is there ever a time when you don't want to punch something?" A male voice brought me back to reality.

Blake was leaning against a nearby tree, gazing right at my bleeding hand. I hadn't even heard him arrive, which made me scowl. Being this distracted wasn't like me.

"It's just a scratch." I shrugged off his concern and tried to wipe off the blood in my leggings.

"Stop. You'll only hurt yourself more." He grabbed my hand and held it in between his.

My blistered hand seemed so small in comparison to his giant bear hands. Despite my strength he somehow managed to make me feel like a fragile woman. It was damn irritating.

"Is it him again?" He still hadn't let go of my hand.

Instead, he was drawing tiny circles across my skin, sending a shiver of sparks through my body.

I was starting to become predictable if he could so easily guess my thoughts. Yet I couldn't bring myself to think about anything else.

"You know you can always talk to me. About anything."

"What if it's something dark that might forever change your opinion of me?" I wasn't serious. With everything he already knew about me, this would hardly be the worst thing.

"I wouldn't have expected anything else. I would be more surprised, if it wasn't something dark." He let go of my hand and instead pulled me into his chest. "You can trust me. I will always be here for you."

To my surprise I was starting to get used to his random hugs and displays of affection. Only a week ago I would have pushed him away with all my strength and now I just wrapped my own arms around him. How the mighty have fallen.