03. Shapeshifters

CHAPTER THREE
(shapeshifters)

Catherina had unknowingly spent a few hours in the Rez and completely let time slip away

Catherina had unknowingly spent a few hours in the Rez and completely let time slip away. It had only been when she noticed—the sky that was once filled with light was now dyed with the dark blanket of the night on how long time passed.

Thorn, on the other hand, had been very aware of the time—though he was part of the conversation that had taken place talking about the Quileute tribe.

In normal cases, Billy wouldn't have openly spoken about them—especially to the outsiders, but Catherina and Thorn were aware of shape-shifters having met a few along their travels.

As well with the mother and son, both had the ability to just feel them. However, Thorn felt it more than his mother—which he didn't say out loud. He couldn't explain how his body and soul was silently yearning for something unexplainable.

Catherina had a well out day with just conversating with Billy, learning of his late wife Sarah and his children—which ended up dragging longer than normal, since the parents ended up talking about the embarrassing moments of their progenies. Much to Thorn's embarrassment, he kept himself from stopping her because of how her eyes had lit up.

The fall of their conversation, that took Catherina in an emotional turn was the news of Harry Clearwater. No matter how many people she had known that had already left the world—it was never easy for her to allow her mind to tell herself 'it was okay' or 'they are at a better place'

Catherina was not a believer in the afterlife—despite once being heavily involved in Christianity many centuries and decades ago when she was just human.

The time when it was just her, Carlisle and her father.

Her father...Christopher.

Oh, how she had not thought of the name for centuries—her memories of him were nearly gone, and she was not sure if she'd even want them back. Because, unlike her older brother—she did not have most of the happiest memories with him.

By the time she was at the age of 5, her father had already started to dedicate his life for the hunt. He was hardly home and barely made time for them, which was hypocritical to the main reason he even started to rid the world of evil. How could he have claimed to have done what he did for them remotely decent when he barely acted upon the role he had been blessed with.

"Mother are you okay?" Thorn asked softly to Catherina who was currently in the passenger seat. Since having left the Black Household, she hasn't uttered a single word since and he was starting to get worried. He knew how her mind usually ended up deep within its consciousness that sometimes her emotions would get overwhelming even for him.

Catherina and Thorn had a mind link that usually wavered when either one of them was vulnerable. It's usually him—but when it's her, he tries his best to be strong and not allow it to envelop him in anxiety.