13. Finale Pt.1

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
(finale pt.1)

             Catherina felt cold—but not because of the winter wind

The coldness she felt, was ice down her bones and tight on her nerves. Standing between her son and Garrett—she still couldn't brush off the air that suffocated her.

As the snow fell, her eyes travelled along with each snowflake as she tried to calm her nerves. However, it seemed futile as the feeling of apprehension and belligerence came as a force through her lungs.

She was overwhelmed by the feeling, never having felt it even with the vengeful witches.

A battle—one she feared, just very much might follow and despite her natural instinct to be strong—the overwhelming pessimism for the young child was powerful.

It was enough for Catherina to know that the Volturi was fearful as told.

If things did not go as they ruled out—they'd make sure to let you know.

The pain, the anger and even sorrow were felt suffocated her.

Catherina felt the nuzzle of her son's snout on her hand, snapping her out of the trance she was slowly falling into.

"Thorn..." She whispered hearing a whine come from his muzzle.

"Steady yourself, mom, breath and keep your nerves in control. You know what happens when you get overwhelmed"

Catherina chuckled softly patting his head," Thank you, sweetie" Thornton nuzzled her palm once more before straightening his posture. His head turned to the direction that the Volturi were coming from and while he was also just as dismayed with his emotions—Being among the other shapeshifters gave him a reassurance that he never felt before.

Edward snarled, a very low but fervent sound from directly in front of the three, "Alistair was right," he murmured to Carlisle. Catherina watched her brother turn to his eldest in question.

"Alistair was right?" Tanya was next to whisper in question

"They—Caius and Aro—come to destroy and acquire," Edward breathed almost silently back; as he peered discreetly to Catherina, Carlisle and the Denali's.

"They have many layers of strategy already in place. If Irina's accusation had somehow proven to be false, they were committed to finding another reason to take offence. But they can see Renesmee now, so they are perfectly sanguine about their course. We could still attempt to defend against their other contrived charges, but first, they have to stop, to hear the truth about Renesmee."

Then, even lower under his breath, he said grimly "Which they have no intention of doing."

Catherina's eyes lowered as she took her sight to the large coven dressed clad in black. The ice-cold emotions still remained, but along it came pride and triumph.