Chapter Fourteen

I had found myself in a situation with no clue of how to remedy it, and with little time before Papa found out, I was unsure of how to tell him myself.

But no matter what I said or how he found out, it was going to break his heart regardless.

"Oh, sweet child, do come here." Madame reached out for me to embrace her, and so I did. "I could not imagine a world where you did not end up in my home and do know that you will be sorely missed."

She hugged me tightly, with one hand cradling the back of my head, just like Mama used to. "You have brought so much life and love back into this family, and there is no possible way for me to ever express how thankful I am for everything you have done to help me and Alveary repair something that should have never broken in the first place. And yet. . ." She sighed, "It seems I have more to ask of you before you leave."

"You may ask anything of me, and I shall do whatever I can to help." I insisted, taking a step back to look her in her tired eyes.

"Please, if you will, take care of my Alveary. I know this is a large task to place upon you since no one knows what the two of you will be walking into, but please if there is a chance that she could survive I hope you will take it, and if it is any consolation I hope for your return as well my dear." I had never seen her look so weak before, it was as if she were made of glass and only one tap away from shattering.

"You know I would never hesitate to save her, even if the cost is my own life. I will not allow anything to happen to her if it is within my means, I promise. You shall see Alveary again, Madame." I knew I should not have declared such a thing, yet I believed it in my heart that it was true. That no matter what was waiting for us, at least Alveary would make it back alive.

"Thank you." She whispered as she wrapped her arms around me and squeezed me tightly once more.

The sweet smell of her perfume and the sound of her sobbing reminded me of my mother, and in that moment the nostalgia was more than welcome. When I was a little innocent girl, I had run off one afternoon chasing nothing and had not told anyone where I had gone. And when I had returned home, flowers in hand and a smile on my face, I was greeted by my mother whose face was soaked in tears. She had been so worried, but like Madame, she wrapped her arms around me holding me as if to never let me go again, then kissed my face all over and begging me to never disappear like that ever again.

I understood how much Alveary meant to Madame, but I also understood how much I had started to mean to her as well. I could not promise the return of one of us, let alone both, but I had all intentions on finding a way to save Alveary.

"Thank you, so very much for everything you have done for me, taught me, and given me during my stay here. For a few short days I had the chance to remember what it was like to have a mother and it means the world to me." I took a step back holding her hands, " I will see you both Sunday morning, you two take care."

Only a few more days until the whole town knew, and only a few more days until Papa's heart was crushed.

"Give your father our regards. And please, do not forget that you two are more than welcome to come to the estate and join Alveary and I for dinner before the. . ." She stopped before she finished the thought and took a shaky breath, "If you need anything please do not be afraid to ask."

"I will come see you Friday after the announcement if you would like." Alveary added walking up at the last second to see me off.

"Of course. Though, my home is not as nice as yours, perhaps you would like to take a stroll through the town instead?" I was not wrong, and in truth it embarrassed me after being treated so elegantly by Alveary and her mother, that I could not return the favor. I did not expect them to come have tea with me in my small barren home, nor did I expect them to wish to. It would have been an insult to them even if they did not take it as such.