98. Fascination

VYSES AND RAVENNA hesitantly allowed the Imperial soldier to lead them back out into the marketplace

VYSES AND RAVENNA hesitantly allowed the Imperial soldier to lead them back out into the marketplace. Hundreds of Imperial soldiers littered the streets, drenched in sweat and blood. Townsfolk slowly emerged from their hiding spots. Some held rags and blankets, some held plates of food. It was actually quite sweet to watch the townsfolk began to care for and tend to the wounded soldiers.

It wasn't long before the soldier abandoned them. Ravenna and Vyses slipped away from the crowds, into a quiet side-street. It was there that Vyses opened a portal and returned to the castle, leaving Ravenna to her own devices.

She started to weave through the crowded streets. Without Lyth and Vyses, it was easy for her to fill her pockets. Her hands slipped into pockets, slender fingers grabbing at whatever she could find. It was mere entertainment, at this point. All she needed was to really find the local tavern. Part of her was just certain that the Blood Knights would be there.

The plan was simple. All Ravenna needed to do was converse with the soldiers, either Imperial or Blood Knights. She needed to find their weakness. Or get them all very, very drunk.

Either route would serve quite useful for when Vyses and the modified ice soldiers attacked early in the morning.

The tavern was not that far away and actually quite easy to find —the Imperial soldiers seemed to gravitate toward it, like a moth to a flame. It was a small building, tucked between a greasy-looking inn and a general store. Its front door was partially concealed behind a plethora of wooden stands and colored tents.

She followed two Imperial soldiers inside. The room opened into a large space, overflowing with wooden benches and tables, all surrounding a massive fire-pit situated in the center of the room. Soldiers and townsfolk alike flooded the room, dancing and singing along to the minstrels that played their flutes. In the corner of the room, almost hidden behind a bend in the wall, was a table filled with Blood Knights.

The sight of them made Ravenna's blood run cold, and her hands quickly retreated back to her sides.

Her head ducked down and she made her way toward the counter, where a woman in a very tight dress passed out drinks. She wasn't sure why the Blood Knights caused her to feel terrified. Especially considering that she'd been trying to find them.

It was something about their armor and their cold eyes. It sent a wave of chills crawling beneath her skin.

The woman behind the counter beamed at her. She tucked a strand of dark hair behind her ears and fluttered her eyelashes at Ravenna. "What can I get for you, sweetheart?"

"Surprise me," Ravenna told her.

The men around her shifted around, granting her access to one of the wooden stools that lined the front of the counter. She took a seat and crossed her arms, watching the woman mix a colorful drink.

"I know you," a familiar voice chirped from behind Ravenna.

She glanced back over her shoulder, her eyebrows furrowed. A man stood behind her. He had shorter brown hair and large green eyes. It was Eoin, one of the Blood Knights she'd met.

"Oh," she said, not quite surprised to see him there. "What are you doing here?"

Eoin squeezed into the stool beside her. His heavy armor clanked and rattled as he moved. He sent her a boyish grin. "I came with the others. We fought those ice monsters earlier today and helped free the city."

She blinked at him. "That's wonderful. Quite a lot of people are celebrating your win tonight."

Several of the men surrounding them heard, and cheered loudly. One even bought Eoin and Ravenna a round of drinks. The woman behind the counter happily made them, setting two frothy mugs down in front of them.

Eoin smiled gratefully and took a small sip. He didn't seem interested in drinking much more than that. His gaze seemed glued to Ravenna. "What are you doing here?"

"I've been traveling," she told him, somewhat honestly.

He arched an eyebrow. "Oh?"

"I got here a few days ago," Ravenna added carefully. She matched his gaze evenly, lest he catch her lying. "Before those horrid creatures showed up. I had planned to leave the day before last, but was unable to."

Eoin frowned. "That is quite unfortunate. Could I ask where you plan to travel to next?"

She narrowed her eyes at him. "Why do you ask?"

"I'm curious," he told her and grinned boyishly. "Most of the women that I meet are happily confined to towers and libraries."

"What's wrong with towers and libraries?" she asked him with a scowl. "I quite enjoy reading books and locking myself away in solitude."

He chuckled, his cheeks bright red. "I didn't mean that there was anything wrong with that! I just find it refreshing that you seem so willing to travel the world, explore and have adventures."

"You presume so much about me," Ravenna scolded halfheartedly.

Eoin ran his fingers through his hair. "Possibly. Maybe once I spend more time with you, I'll have more accurate assumptions."

She mulled over his words for a moment and then shot him a curious look. "You plan to spend more time with me?"

"Absolutely."

She made a face. "Why would you want to do that?"

"You fascinate me," he said simply.

Her facial expression twisted with skepticism. She took a sip of her drink, the alcohol burning the back of her throat. Eoin chuckled. "For example," he said, "You appear so innocent, so kind. Yet I watched your hands dive into many pockets as you walked in here. Your pretty little face makes it hard for one to believe that you could be a thief."

"Pardon?" Ravenna choked out.

hello friends!!

I hope that everyone has had a really awesome week so far! This chapter is a short one, but an important one. I'm so excited to see how y'all react to this and the next few chapters!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to read this book so far. I really appreciate all of you guys, gals, and non-binary pals!!! Y'all are so amazing.

I also hope that you all have a fun and safe Halloween tomorrow, whether you are trick-or-treating or rocking it out a party! I may or may not be going to work in a flying squirrel onesie. I'm stoked lol.  ❤

ash ❤