119. A Skeletal Hand

RAVENNA LAID IN her bed, watching shadows crawl across the ceiling above her

RAVENNA LAID IN her bed, watching shadows crawl across the ceiling above her. Heavy footsteps marched up and down the hallway as the Imperial guards made their rounds. It took a while, but she waited until the world around her fell silent. Then she made her move.

She crawled out of her bed, bare feet pressing against the stone floor as she stood. As she moved, she listened, waiting for the footsteps in the hall to return. Slowly, she walked toward the bathroom that was connected to her room. It was the furthest point to the entrance to the room, which provided her a semblance of comfort. The rational part of her mind argued that the distance might actually give her more time to react and defend herself should she be caught.

Once inside the bathroom, she started to gather the necessary ingredients needed for the spell. It had been a long time since she'd originally read the spell. From what she could remember, she believed that all she really needed was a piece of her hair and a random page of parchment, filled with written words. She reached up and plucked a single strand of hair free from her scalp. The dark hair coiled atop the white stone beneath her. Ravenna pulled Caelan's spellbook out and started to skim through it.

She wasn't sure where else she could find a blank piece of parchment, especially so late at night. There was no guarantee that the library would have any, as production for the books generally took place elsewhere. She also didn't want to risk a run-in with the guards.

Toward the end of the spellbook, she found an empty piece of parchment. Hesitation fluttered through her. It tugged at her heart. She squeezed her eyes shut, whispering a small apology to Caelan's memory, and ripped it free. She placed it on the ground in front of her.

All she needed now was a writing utensil.

Ravenna slowly glanced around the room, absorbing her surroundings. The room wasn't filled with much --just small, warm tub built into the ground like a hot spring. Alyss would force Ravenna into it each morning, all while scrubbing every inch of her skin with a hard sponge. In the corner sat a small table, filled with Alyss' torture supplies.

Climbing to her feet, Ravenna made her way toward the table, her eyes zeroed in on a slender piece of charcoal. Alyss used it to outline Ravenna's eyes. She picked it up, her fingers immediately coated in a powdery black substance.

"This will have to do," she whispered to herself.

She filled the parchment with scribbles. There was no thought, no meaning behind them. She just needed something, some sort of substance to fill the page. Once that was complete, she rolled the parchment until it formed a small scroll in her hands. Her fingers worked quick to tie her discarded strand of hair around it, like a twine binding it together.

Ravenna held the scroll in her hands and stared at it intently. She didn't fully remember the verbiage, so she improvised.

"Hues of light and knowledge,

I ask for your gentle aid.

Improve my mind, I seek your wisdom.

Enhance my memory times three.

So mote it be!"

The scroll hovered above her open palms, trembling in the midair. She watched intently as a sliver of blue light appeared in the center of the scroll. It began to grow brighter and to fan outward, stretching toward the edges of the paper. The center cracked. Tendrils of ice blue flames licked along the sides of the parchment until it engulfed the scroll whole.

Ravenna grimaced as the fire dropped into her open palms. Heat blossomed across her skin. Her teeth dug into her lower lip as she bit back a pained yelp. She shook her hands, desperate to rid herself of the flames, to no avail.

The fire sank deep into her hand -- past the skin and muscle, until a skeletal hand glowed beneath a thin shield of skin.

Her entire body convulsed with agony. Trembling, she stared at her hand, at the small chunks of bone that defined her fingers. Her muscles gave out and she found herself on the floor. The icy stone floor kissed her cheek.

The fire vanished, taking with it her glowing skeletal hand. The initial pain started to fade, as aftershocks tore through her nervous system.

And darkness swallowed Ravenna. 

hey friends!

hey friends!

I hope that quarantine isn't driving you completely bonkers, aha!

 I have been working on a new youtube video this week that will hopefully provide some entertainment? Haha, I tried Animal Crossing for the first time ever and recorded my reaction. I've also been working on new chapters for this book. I'm hoping to get ahead for the next several weeks! I just wish Wattpad had a schedule option when posting lol. I have also been listening to BTS nonstop. What are some of your favorite songs/bands?

Anyways, thank you for taking the time to read so far!! I really appreciate all of your love and support!! You all mean so much to me! ❤❤❤

I hope that you and your loved ones are safe and healthy during this somewhat scary time! ❤

p.s. Ice Chapter 121. A Cluster of Butterflies is now available to read on Patreon!