𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

[ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 ]

What are you doing here Miss Kim?" Dr Choi spoke from behind me.

I'd just arrived at Cell 8, a day after the fiasco with Test Subject 312. The whole night I'd been tossing and turning, my mind analysing the events that has taken place the day before.

Test Subject 312 had been so calm, so peaceful in my presence. It was as if his mind had two filters- friend and foe. The guards with their taser guns and the scientists with their pristine coats and needles were a common enemy in his mind. I was a rarity; I was just an ordinary girl.

It was like he couldn't understand where I stood. Yes, I wore the white coat that he associated with pain but my features were soft and my actions gentle. He probably wondered if I was genuine or one of Mediheal's toys.

"I'm here to take Test Subject 312's daily health analysis. I'm assuming you haven't done it yet?"

Dr Choi's eyes turned to slits as she regarded me scrutinisingly. She obviously hadn't expected me to be so forward.

"No," she paused, "he injured the doctor,"

I couldn't help but smirk lightly at her remark. They were loosing.

"I guess you really do need my help."

She scoffed but handed me to clipboard and the equipment that I would need for his check-up. Feeling satisfied, I entered the Cell.

As the door creaked upon my entrance, Test Subject 312's head snapped up, his eyes black and piercing threatening me to move.

"Hey! It's okay, it's me. Remember?"

His body relaxed slightly, his tense shoulders loosening and the piercing glare softened to a curious stare. With a gentle step, I advanced towards him holding my hands up in a surrender position. Despite my firm belief that Test Subject 312 should be treated fairly, I was still scared of the power that he possessed. I'd seen the damage he could inflict on others first hand.

"I have to take your daily analysis," I announced, holding up the stethoscope and thermometer.

He scoffed, turning towards the wall with his lips curled into a small pout.

"Come on," I laughed, sliding towards him, the equipment still clutched firmly in my hand. I guess that if I was prodded and poked with different tools everyday I'd also be fed up.

I reached the end of his bed, feeling the cool metal of the bed frame press into my legs. I didn't want to get on the bed, as I'd previously done; this was his space and it was up to him whether I sat down. I wasn't going to be pushy anymore, I would let him choose what he wished to do. If I wanted to build any sort of trust with this boy, I had to obey his wants and needs.

"If you're not going to let me listen to you heartbeat, at least let me take your temperature."

I held out the oral thermometer and let him take it from my hands. He was still dubious, his gaze unblinking as he snatched the tool from my hands and popped it into his mouth. He slinked away from me until his back reached the wall where he slouched, the thermometer dangling precariously from his lips.

A minute later I heard the familiar beep and he removed the thermometer, passing the clean side for me to take. I grabbed the thermometer and my clipboard, writing down the number that blazed at me.

45° - I shouldn't have been surprised. The notes, that I had read a week ago, warned me of his peculiar temperatures, way beyond a human average.

I tried to hold in my shock, biting my tongue from making a gasp or an astonished remark. Instead, I let out a wobbly smile an grabbed my equipment hastily whilst Test Subject 312 watched me intensely.

"Thanks for that," I rushed, beginning my retreat from the room.

He still didn't move, his eyes following my every action.

"Hopefully tomorrow you'll let me observe your heart rate."

I didn't wait for a reply, not that I would expect one, and exited the room throwing the clipboard towards Dr Choi.

She grabbed it and harrumphed at the scribbles that I had made. Even though her stern face didn't falter and she continued to remain indifferent toward me, I knew that she was secretly impressed.

"Well done, Miss Kim. I expect you to be down here tomorrow, same time. No exceptions."

Then I left, with an eager anticipation for the next day to start. I was going to find out more about Test Subject 312, even if it meant risking everything.