~Chapter 23~

(Emily's Point of View)

The trek up the driveway to my parents house was unpleasant at best, the frosty February air gusted against me. Michael waited in the car outside just in case anything happened between us, after all we hadn't talked much since I introduced Nate to him.

I wouldn't be able to show all of my cards this round after all my largest gambit was the documents my mother had. But if I played them too soon they would realize that we were the ones to break her out of the prison they held her in. Not yet at least we needed to see how far this plot went and without all of their plans we would be going in their guns blazing blindly.

I arrived at their doorsteps the door was cold to the touch as I knocked two sharp knocks. I waited for a couple moments bracing myself for the topics I knew would come up during my time here. But we needed to at least play one card while I was here to stop the progression of their plans.

"Ameilia nice to see you after so many months." Sebastian invited me in acting far to cordial for my own tastes. I still made my way inside as he lead us through the house to where Sala sat in the living room. I glanced around remembering the last time I had been here with them.

"Excuse me!" Shock was evident in my voice as I paced in front of my sorry excuses of parents. Now, it's not as though I hated them all the time. Nor was I ever a wild child in my teens, and they reward me with this.

"It's not that difficult to understand, Emily." My Mother's exhaustion was prominent, her voice exasperated and coming out as a sigh. 

"You expect me," I paused putting my thumbs to my chest, "to marry some random man that you," I take a deep breath to again, I had to keep calm. I pointed towards my mother, "have picked out for me."

"Mother." I nodded towards her keeping my back straight as I went to sit on the couch opposite of her. Sebastian sat down next to her watching me with blank eyes, I wondered if he ever realized that I wasn't related to him.

"How has your new job been treating you Ameilia?" Sala asked me her own eyes guarded as she talked to me. The atmosphere was stiff filling my lungs with lead like I couldn't breathe properly.

"It's been enjoyable and I've learned much under Mr. Winston." I could feel my lips quirk up in a smirk as I watched them react to the name. Nate had brought the topic up to my just yesterday and I agreed almost instantly.

Yesterday...

"Fenice can we chat for a second." Nate gently pulled me away from the rest of the group and the bedroom we now shared. With everyone under one roof we each had gone off in pairs to share the rooms. Dai and Michael both ended up having their own rooms while my parents shared a room.

"What's up Chimere." I smiled slightly enjoying the French name rolling off my tongue, I took his hand in mine lacing them together.

"I want to cast my name as Richmond aside, its done you enough harm." I paused for a moment surprised at the words falling from his mouth.

"So your changing it to Kolebrook?" It made sense after all James had practically raised him and gave his company to him. Imagine my surprise when he slowly shook his head once more and bent down onto one knee.

"Nate what are you doing?" I questioned rapidly feeling emotions flash through me more at once, confusion, scared, happy, and excited.

"Don't worry Fenice I'm not proposing." He laughed slightly smiling at me with a yearning look in his eyes, "I want to take your mother's name of Winston and one day I wish for you to as well."