V

"If you want to say something, just say it. Stop tailing me like a lost dog," he said over his shoulder. It was the first thing I'd heard him say to me in so long. I felt my heart clench at the tone he used- which was miles away from his usual loving voice that I was used to. I ignored his insult and proceeded to say,

"How have you been? How.. how is Lyra?" I asked what I've been meaning to ask for years. Lyra was his little sister who had gotten really ill a year into our marriage, only to be diagnosed with Leukemia not long after.

He froze for a second, a flash of despair crowding his eyes for a millisecond before he wiped off all emotions and chuckled humorlessly. "Lyra.. you're asking about Lyra? Now you're suddenly thinking about her after cheating and going missing for 3 goddamn years?" I could tell that he was beginning to get aggrieved, but I stood to my ground and took in all his hurtful words.

"That doesn't mean I ever stopped caring," I responded. He ran a hand through his jet black hair in frustration.

"Please do us both a favor and leave me alone. I dont know how I'm going to react the next time I see your uninvited presence," he commented before turning around and attempting to walk away, only to be stopped by a hold on his sleeve and a pull that hauled him right back. I don't know what I'm doing. I have no idea why I decided to walk after him. There was barely anything that needed to be said between us. I was pathetic and I knew that I was going to regret it later but I couldn't stop myself from asking him questions.

"Please. Just- I really love her and miss her so much. I really want my words to reach her. I know what I did was bad, but I just had to-"

"You don't get it, do you?" he uttered in an incomprehensible voice before shaking his head and prying my hands off of him and walking away for good this time. With my last piece of dignity, I turned around and entered the dining room to inform everyone of my departure. I couldn't stay there for a minute longer and Ava and everyone were very accepting of that. We gathered our bags and walked to Ava's car, all the while knowing that there were so many words on the tip of her tongue. Nonetheless, I couldn't care less at that very moment and all I wanted to do was to shut my eyes and forget this dreadful day ever happened.

* * *

Ava shook me awake soon after we stood outside her penthouse. She claimed that I was in "too bad of a state" for her to drop me off at mine and knowing how stubborn she was and how eager I was to sleep the night away, I chose not to argue with her. Without even changing out of the uncomfortable dress, I slouched on the bed in the guest room that was especially reserved for me and shut my eyes in an attempt to sleep and wipe all those thoughts away from my head. Unfortunately, it was to no avail as my brain was in constant buzzing. I sighed and turned before the door opened and Ava poked her head in.

"I'm guessing you can't sleep?" She asked. I shook my head to confirm her statement.

"I know today was hard for you. I couldn't believe my eyes either when I saw him. I really did not know that my parents invited him," she explained sincerely. I knew she wasn't lying because, for one, Ava is a really bad liar and two, our friendship was always built on trust and I knew she wouldn't just break it for the sake of it.

"I know it's not your fault. Maybe it's mine for not informing your parents about the identity of my ex husband," I said while forcing out a small smile.

Ava chuckled. "You talked to him, didn't you? That's why you two disappeared for a few minutes," I nodded.

"What did you talk about?" she asked cautiously.

"Not much. He wouldn't say anything anyway," I replied.

She shrugged, "I guess that's plausible. He doesn't look talkative at all. What did you say?" she questioned again.

"I asked about his sister-" I paused when I saw Ava freeze.

"What's wrong?"

"Valerie.."

"What?" I asked, her silence scaring me. I felt like I knew what she was about to say, but I still couldn't comprehend it nor was I going to listen to my instincts.

"Lyra.. Lyra passed away long ago," she said and I felt all the oxygen leave my lungs before an endless amount of tears started streaming down my face and I grieved over the girl I considered my sister, the girl who always managed to keep a smile on her face despite her circumstances and the girl that made it her mission to make everyone happy.