Counterfeits

Frank leaned forward on the counter. "How can you tell its a fake?"

The manager, Gilbert Tillens, took out a twenty bill from the drawer and handed it and the fake to Frank. "First major clue, feel them."

Frank's eyes widened. "Why, the texture feels slightly different, and the weight too! It's barely noticeable, but it's there!"

The manager nodded. "Exactly, but you really wouldn't notice until you actually compare the two. Or if," he indicated himself and the clerk, "you're like us and work with bills all the time, you can notice in a second."

"But for people who don't?" asked Joe.

The manager reached back into the drawer and pulled out a marker as he spoke. "There are several ways one can tell if it's a counterfeit. This is one way, though it's not as commonly used anymore." They watched intently as he drew a little line on each bill.

Chet gasped. "They're two different colors!" The fake bill had a black line while the real bill had a brown line.

Tillens nodded. "Exactly, this pen was created to help prevent the spread of counterfeits. However, it only works on counterfeits that actually use regular paper, which this one seems to be made of."

"And for counterfeits that use the same paper as the real thing?" asked Frank.

Tillens shrugged. "Most people will simply hold the bill up to the light and look for the watermark. Or, if you have a bit more time, the little red and blue hairs. Another dead giveaway is the serial number. Most counterfeits use the same numbers, real bills are different."

"So, getting into the counterfeit business, huh?" The boys jumped and Chet yelped before they turned around. There was Chief Collig and Officer Reilly.

"Don't scare us like that, Chief!" said Chet with a slight whine to his voice.

Collig chuckled. "Hey, you're the ones with a fake twenty."

"But I didn't know!"

Collig shook his head. "Of course you didn't. But those guys made one fatal mistake."

"What's that, Chief?" asked Joe.

His eyes twinkled merrily. "They gave the Hardys their scent."

"So, I can hire them?" asked Tillens.

Frank's and Joe's heads swiveled from Tillens to Collig. "Hire us?"

Collig nodded solemnly. "Yes, this is serious, and I know your dad, well, both of your parents now, are going to be out of town on another case. So, it's up to just the two of you. What do you say?"

Joe glanced at Frank briefly before turning back to Collig, grinning from ear to ear. "Are you kidding? Of course we'll take it!"

"Good!

"Yeah! I want my fifteen bucks back," said Chet.

Joe winked. "You can count on it."

"Great! Now, there are a few things . . ."

Frank held up his hand. "I'm sorry, Mr. Tillens, but we can't go over the mystery right now, our afternoon's packed. Maybe you can come by our house later this evening? Or we can meet you here tomorrow?"

Tillens nodded. "Oh right, of course. How about you meet me here tomorrow, say, nine?"

Frank nodded. "Sounds like a plan. We'll talk to you tomorrow, Mr. Tillens."

"I'll be there too," said Collig.

Tillens smiled with evident relief. "Good, thank you so much."