A Surprise at Home

"Frank!" coughed Chet. "We've got . . . to get . . . out!"

"I know!" Frank coughed as he glanced around, trying to think of something. His eyes fell on the truck. "Get in . . . the truck!"

"What?" asked Callie between coughs.

"The truck!" shouted Frank. He pushed them forward. Chet caught on his meaning first and climbed into the passenger side. Callie got in on the driver side and had to slide in so Frank could get in. They closed the doors and breathed.

"Oh man, good idea, Frank," said Chet as he sat back with a sigh of relief.

Frank turned the key and grabbed the wheel. "It's not done yet. Hold on!" He pressed on the gas and the truck lurched forward, breaking through the doors. The truck came to a stop. Frank leaped out when he saw Joe, Iola, and Ellen come rushing out of their side of the woods.

"Are you alright?" asked Joe. "Is that their truck?"

Frank grabbed him by the arm. "Did you see anyone rushing away from here?"

Joe shook his head. "No, we came rushing out here when we heard the wood break." He glanced at Iola and Ellen looking over Chet and Callie. He looked back at his brother. "Another attempt?"

"A poor one," said Frank before he coughed again. "He must have just used it as a distraction to get away from the house."

"He must not be far from here," said Joe. "Come on! We can still nab him!"

Frank turned to the others. "Iola, Ellen, make sure Chet and Callie get some water. We'll be right back!"

"But Frank, you need some too!" shouted Callie. But he and Joe had already taken off. The two searched the surrounding grove thoroughly, but they couldn't find their quarry. They soon had another reason to stop as Frank began coughing a bit more than before.

"We'd better call it quits and get you some water," said Joe, fighting to keep the concern out of his voice. His brother just could not get a break during this mystery, and it was worrying him.

Frank waved at him as the coughing subsided. "I'll be fine. We have to catch that guy."

"Face it Frank, he's long gone by now." Joe snapped his fingers and leaned in to whisper, "but we leave now and get the police on their way here, he might be back in time for them to nab him."

Frank nodded and smiled wanly at the wisdom in his brother's words. "Yeah, yeah, that might be the best way to get this done. Come on, let's hurry up and get back to the gang." He leaned in and whispered, "but we had better let the Chief know before we leave so they have enough time to get out here."

Joe nodded. "Right, I'll take care of it."

Frank smiled. "Thanks." The two dashed back to the Queen, where Iola and Ellen were fussing over Chet and Callie.

"Did you catch the guy?" asked Chet.

"Frank! Get some water!" ordered Callie. Ellen unceremoniously placed a bottle of water into Frank's hand.

"Thanks Ellen," he said before downing half the bottle. He took a deep breath before turning to Chet. "No, unfortunately, we didn't catch the guy." He shot a glance at Joe who took out his phone and was dialing the number to Chief Collig's desk. He turned to the others and whispered. "But we're hoping that by leaving now, we'll get the guy to come out of hiding by the time the police come."

Chet grinned. "I like that idea."

Frank chuckled. "I figured you would."

Joe walked up to Frank and spoke in a low voice. "Did you get pictures of the truck?"