4 ᴥ Leaving

Why should it be so easy to forgive him? In what universe was him leaving the girl he ignored me for considered a compliment?
°°°°°°°°°°

I stared at his golden eyes in disbelief.

"We're leaving." He repeated.

"We?" A million other questions danced on my tongue as his hands loosened around my wrists.

"I know Alice has already seen it. I wouldn't doubt that Carlisle is making arrangements now," Edward said slowly. "I told Bella it isn't safe for us to stay here anymore."

"Isn't safe for her," I mumbled.

He was still leaving for her.

"For us, Corinna," he corrected my thoughts. I saw the twitch of his mouth as he realized I wasn't shut off anymore.

"You don't want an us," I said.

He stared at me for only a few seconds in silence, but the emotion in his eyes made it feel as if it was hours.

"Corinna I can't get you out of my head."

Edward's voice was barely above a whisper as he let go of my wrists all together and slid his hands around my waist. His fingers rubbed against the silk fabric gently.

"You looked so nice tonight," he continued as his hands played with the torn fringe at the bottom of the dress.

I looked at him then. Really, honestly looked at him. Everything about him drew me in and held me there, locked in that little bubble of clouded judgement. He smiled and it felt like the whole world fell away around us. I sighed as I let my guard down, and I watched the corner of his mouth twitch upwards as he was opened to my thoughts. I slid my hands up his chest to his face, cradling his face in my hands.

But never as nice as her, right?

His hands froze, his fingers stopped playing with the fringed edges of my dress and he stared at me as I moved his hands off of me and stepped back, smiling.

"I can't compete, can I? Edward, I'm not stupid," I laughed sharply.

"Come with us, please," he said as he  stepped forward and squeezed my side gently. "Start over somewhere. Take time off from the human world."

I closed my eyes, shaking my head. It was like he was in m y head.

"It's a mate thing," he whispered.

I looked away. "Bella said you thought we were mates."

"I think we can be," he said cryptically.

Can be. Comforting.

"Corinna, I know how awful I've been - but I'm trying to choose you. Let me choose you, please."

Maybe if you were on your knees, I thought to myself...and him, I guess.

He didn't hesitate as he dropped down, staring at me. He took my hands in his, his eyes wide - pleading, asking me to choose him, too. I tried to remain unphased but my smile was too hard to fight back. I didn't answer out loud, but I didn't really need to. He stood and pulled me to him, his arms wrapped tightly around me.

Even if it was just for that moment, it felt like he was all I needed.

But..... I didn't know if it was the same for him.

---
THIS IS SO SHORT I KNOW
i just really needed a transition from the party to the next part. I'll probably post this chapter AND the next one at the same time so no one feels let down!!