11 ᴥ Gifts

Noble. Was it really noble, to sacrifice yourself for people who had made your life miserable? Noble wasn't the first word that came to my mind. Stupid, wreckless, idiotic...those were closer to what I had in mind.
--

"How rude of me," Aro laughed again. "I seem to know every person in this room but you, dear."

"I wish I could say the same. I'm afraid I've never met any of you - only heard stories." I admitted.

"Well, please, allow me to formally introduce myself," Aro smiled brightly, extending his hand to me.

I stepped forward to shake his hand but Edward's voice stopped me, "Corinna, Aro here is gifted. One touch and he can see every thought you've ever had."

Aro smiled for a second longer before he dropped his hand, caught in his trick.

"I suppose he's an upgraded version of you, then," I said, smiling thinly at Edward before stepping back next to Alice.

"I'm so happy to see the lovely Bella alive!" Aro moved on casually. "May I?"

Edward squeezed Bella's hand before offering his hand to Aro who touched it for only a minute or so before dropping it. His eyes showed a peak in his interest, and his smile was frighteningly pleased.

"This is very interesting, Edward. I hadn't realized Corinna was so recent when I looked into your fascinating mind earlier." Aro touched the tips of his fingertips together in thought.

"I'm suprised I'm in his thoughts at all," I muttered.

"Corinna Beneventi, hm?" Aro turned back to me. "You're gifted as well. You block out Edward's gift like Bella."

"Sometimes," I answered honestly. "Lately, yes. All the time."

"Perhaps we could have avoided the spectacle in the alleyway if Edward had seen Bella was alive in your thoughts?" Felix piped up from where he stood guarding the door.

"Edward was too distraught to listen to her thoughts," Alice explained, "That's why she went instead of me. He wouldn't have believed us."

"He didn't believe your yelling either," Felix quipped again.

"What was it he was yelling? 'I don't love you'?" Demetri added.

Aro's eyes flashed between Edward and I, "I wonder."

I smiled through the heaviness of the room, the painful awkward feeling of the emotion in the room. This was hell. Aro's smiling, chalky, stretched-skin face was hell.

"I would love to see the difference in your gifts, Bella and Corinna. May I?" Aro extended his hand to Bella now, who hid behind Edward instinctively.

The urge to roll my eyes and be done with this whole mess was outstanding. I gently placed my hands on Bella's shoulders and guided her forward with me. Edward's hand was on my shoulder now, hard and authorative.

"Corinna." He didn't trust me with Bella.

"I'm not going to hurt her." I lowered my voice so only he could hear me.

"It's not you I don't trust." He looked over my shoulder.

I shrugged out of his grasp and escorted Bella to Aro. We stood shoulder to shoulder, her hand wrapped tightly around mine. Aro extended his hand and I lifted Bella's hand to his before dropping mine as he examined her. I could feel her shaking as he let go of her hand after only a few seconds, letting out another shrieking laugh.

"Nothing!" He laughed again.

I placed my hand on her back and pushed her gently back to Edward who took her in his arms protectively. Aro was waiting patiently for my hand.