18

Chapter Eighteen - Soothing Fears

Two days later we arrive in Vancouver and I'm enjoying every bit of sightseeing. After Ryder came back from his meeting this morning him and I set out to explore. We had started off with visiting Coal Harbor and grabbing a late breakfast. The views were beautiful and we followed the paved Seawall along the shore to Stanley Park. We checked out Brockton Point Lighthouse and the aquarium too where I built up the courage to touch a stingray which was amazing. I'm normally too squeamish.

Next, we visited the oldest part of the city called Gastown. There were many restaurants, art galleries and shops that we browsed in. We walked on cobblestone streets and that along with the restored Victorian buildings and iron lampposts made everything seem like out of a movie. I also loved the Steam Clock and happened to catch a few chimes while we were there.

To get a late lunch we traveled to Granville Island by an aqua bus which was a cute sea taxi where we saw views of Granville Island itself, False Creek and the bridge. We visited the public market where we grabbed food and then went to a microbrewery. There were many street performers and artists that we stopped to watch while visiting the shops and before we left Ryder grabbed some doughnuts for the ride back.

Currently we're walking in downtown Vancouver when he spots something. He points to a tall building that is clearly a viewpoint with all the glass at the top. He turns to me with an excited smile and I feel dread fill me at the realization of what he's going to say next.

"Let's go to the lookout! I haven't been there in years!" He exclaims and guides me towards the building.

"Okay." I reply meekly as my fear of heights comes back full force.

I will myself to calm down and as we ride up to the fifty-fifth floor in the glass elevator my eyes are glued to the ceiling the whole time. I'm behind Ryder so he doesn't notice and his attention is solely on the views. I almost let out a sigh of relief when the doors open and we get out.

Ryder intertwines our hands before making his way to the glass panes with me following behind him. I hear a few people saying how there's not that much of a crowd in the evenings as opposed to daytime but my eyes widen when I see the view from the glass. Miles of buildings stretch out before us with the sunset lighting up the sky in blue, pink and purple hues. I can see the mountains standing proud and tall in the far distance where civilization ends.

And then I look down by mistake.

I gulp harshly when I see people walking around below who look like ants from up here. Subconsciously, I step back when I start to feel dizzy by the significant drop in height. My hand gently tugs Ryder's as I back up which makes him turn to look at me.

I smile shakily before focusing my thoughts on the buildings and the horizon rather than the ground. I avoid his stunning blues and let go of his hand to walk around and experience the promised 360-degree view. I can feel him bore holes into the back of my head as he follows behind me, watching me closely as I maintain a distance from the glass panes. I don't even want to catch a glimpse of the ground below for fear of fainting.

"Ella...are you afraid of heights?" Ryder chuckles in realization before his warm breath caresses my bare neck as he leans down.

"N-No!" I shake my head quickly before cursing at how obvious that was.

"Really?" He grins broadly with a challenging glint in his eyes.

I huff and cross my arms indignantly. "I'm not scared."