27

Chapter Twenty-Seven - Meant To Be

A few months later – June.

"Ryder! Get off your phone, there's still so much to unpack!" I huff as I make my way into the sitting room.

"Just a few minutes..." He mumbles as he types away furiously.

I cross my arms in annoyance and watch as his baby blues flicker between me and the screen hastily. He eventually finishes typing before putting his phone down on the coffee table. I squeal in surprise when he runs and picks me up. Laughing, I shake my head before he pecks my lips and sets me down.

"I'm sorry, I'll help. Let's go." He grins and puts his hands on my shoulders before pushing me upstairs to our bedroom.

Ryder and I have moved to Toronto, Canada because he was increasingly being needed back here. It put a strain on our relationship when he was gone most of the time and I was also busy with teaching so I finally had enough when it got to the point where we barely saw each other anymore.

After we talked about moving here I applied to some schools and got a job in the city close to home. But before I left, the court hearing also happened in May and Seth got what he deserved which was life behind bars. As soon as he had seen Ryder he had gone crazy and basically admitted to everything he had done to me. Thankfully, my dad's friend Curtis had also been found and he's gone back to his normal life. I was relieved when he didn't blame me for any of it because I felt really guilty for dragging him into the mess.

Although I was sad to leave the family and the ranch I was also excited to start a new chapter in my life. Everyone was of course happy for us and we already had a trip planned for them to come and meet us in a few weeks since it's the summer holidays and they've only seen the house via pictures we've sent over phone.

With our combined savings we bought a lovely, two-story home in a quiet neighborhood. It's situated on a hill and looks like a large bungalow in the front but when you look at it from the sides or the back it's clearly a two-story. 

It has two canopies that are held up by wooden pillars and beams, one at the front door and one at the back on top of our large balcony. I also love the fact that there's stairs connecting from our balcony to our back garden. The house itself is quite spacious with a massive garden at the back. When I had first seen it I completely fell in love and knew this was the place I wanted to call home.

We've made the area where the balcony is our main sitting room because the views of the city from our back garden are amazing, especially during the night when you can see the lights glimmering in the distance. Ryder has an office for himself downstairs where the kitchen is also. 

The interior is modern but with all our things it's quickly getting a home-y feel to it which I love. Other than that, we have a master bedroom and six other bedrooms that we've currently set up as guest rooms. Because our family is so big we made sure we had space for them all to be comfortable whenever they visited. And when we want to start our own family in the future having the extra rooms will prove to be a great advantage.

"Will you start on the bed frame please and I'll get the bedding?" I ask and he nods before I make my way towards the storage closet. "I want all the bedrooms to be set up today."

We spend the rest of the morning and better part of the afternoon unpacking our things. When we finally finish setting up our bedroom and guest rooms I flop onto the couch with a tired sigh. Ryder cuddles up to me and lays his head in my lap with a groan. I didn't want to move and just the thought of cooking makes me want to cry.