𝐈

𝐁𝐔𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐋𝐈𝐄𝐒 

It was midsummer when he first met her

She stood beneath the sunlight, bathing herself in gold and rich honey. When her bare feet touched the grass, she would breathe in mother nature's dirt and exhale pretty, little flowers in the air. Her fingers would then run across the fallen leaves before humming a soft tune along with the breeze that whispered in her ears. Then, her eyes ever so slowly meet with his and Summer would stop all over again.

For once in his life, Itachi felt thousands and thousands of butterflies fluttering in his soul. He was afraid that if you were to lean in too closely, you would see his butterflies dancing in the meadow. A field of roses began to crawl beneath his cheeks, and in that single moment, he felt like he could breathe for the first time. He felt so out of this world.

"You're beautiful."

He murmured softly, starry eyes glimmering with the sunlight's dew. Itachi lips fell apart, almost regretting himself for blurting such embarrassing comment. After all, it was unusual to see the sight of the thirteen year old Anbu who had seen hell to be flustered over a girl. A giggle escaped from her lips as she beamed a smile towards him.

"Forgive me, that was—"

"And your heart is golden, I can feel it", she responded abruptly.

The girl took a step closer, and leaned in until her forehead was pressed against his. Like the sun and moon colliding, it felt so perfect yet so incredibly wrong. Was it okay for him to feel this way, when his shoulders were burdened with nothing but blood stains dripping into his bones? While her hands touched the heavens, Itachi had plunged his hands in sin. But when her fingers made its way towards his hands, he felt free.

He fell in love with the season of Summer.