▼ Memories ▼

Memory encompasses the psychological processes of obtaining, retaining, and recalling information over time. It involves three main stages: encoding, storage, and retrieval.

Human memory entails both the capacity to retain and retrieve information. Nonetheless, this process is not infallible. Individuals may occasionally forget or inaccurately recall details. Furthermore, information may not always be adequately encoded into memory initially.

Memory issues can range from minor inconveniences, such as forgetting birthdays, to manifestations of severe conditions like Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia. These conditions can significantly impact one's quality of life and ability to perform daily tasks.

To form a new memory, information undergoes a transformation into a usable format, a process known as encoding. Once successfully encoded, the information is then stored in memory for future retrieval.

Short-term memories typically persist for approximately 20 to 30 seconds. These memories primarily comprise information that individuals are currently attending to and actively contemplating.

Certain memories have the capacity to persist for much longer periods, spanning days, weeks, months, or even decades. The majority of these long-term memories reside outside of immediate awareness but can be retrieved into consciousness when required.

Numerous models of memory have been proposed, but the stage model of memory is frequently utilized to elucidate the fundamental structure and operation of memory. Originally introduced in 1968 by Richard Atkinson and Richard Shiffrin, this theory delineates three distinct stages or types of memory: sensory memory, short-term memory, and long-term memory.

Sensory memory:
Sensory memory represents the initial stage of memory processing. In this phase, sensory information obtained from the environment is retained for a fleeting duration, typically lasting no more than half a second for visual stimuli and three to four seconds for auditory stimuli.

Short-term memory:
Short-term memory, also termed active memory, encompasses the information currently within our conscious awareness or under active consideration. In Freudian psychology, this memory corresponds to the conscious mind. Focusing on sensory stimuli results in their retention in short-term memory.

Although many of our short-term memories fade rapidly, directing attention to this information facilitates its progression to the subsequent stage: long-term memory. Typically, information stored in active memory endures for approximately 20 to 30 seconds.

This duration can be extended somewhat through the utilization of memory techniques like chunking, which involves organizing related information into smaller, more manageable chunks.

Long-term memory:
Long-term memory pertains to the enduring retention of information. In Freudian psychology, long-term memory corresponds to the preconscious and unconscious.

This repository of information largely resides beyond our immediate awareness but can be retrieved into working memory for utilization as necessary. While certain memories are readily accessible, others may prove more challenging to retrieve.

Neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson's, Huntington's, ALS, frontal lobe dementia, and Alzheimer's all lead to memory loss due to the accumulation of toxic protein clumps in the brain, resulting in neuronal cell death. Alzheimer's, the most common form, has debated causes, with genetics playing a role, especially in early-onset cases, while lifestyle and education levels also influence disease risk.

Sleep serves as a memory enhancer by shielding memories from interfering stimuli and facilitating memory consolidation. The sleep cycle comprises five stages: Very Light Sleep, Light Sleep, Slow Wave Sleep (SWS), Delta Sleep, and Rapid Eye Movement (REM).

Several studies have shown that memory retention declines in older adults due to brain shrinkage, impacting vital memory-related structures like the hippocampus. However, recent research by Maede suggests that older adults who engage in drawing, regardless of skill level, can experience memory improvement.

》Experiments on prenatal or fetal memory have revealed that fetuses can remember sounds played to them, validating anecdotal reports from mothers who notice their newborns being calmed by familiar sounds. Scientists suggest that prenatal memory plays a vital role in infant-mother attachment development.