▼ Brain ▼

The human brain is the command center for the human nervous system. It receives signals from the body's sensory organs and outputs information to the muscles.

》According to Paul Reber, Professor of Psychology at Northwestern University, the human brain can store an estimated 2,500,000 gigabytes, which is equivalent to 300 years' worth of TV shows.

》The composition of the brain is approximately 78% water, 12% lipids, 8% protein, 1% carbohydrates, 2% soluble organics, and 1% salt.

The brain isn't fully developed until approximately age 25. Development starts at the rear of the brain and progresses forward. Consequently, the frontal lobes, responsible for functions such as planning and reasoning, are among the last areas to mature and establish connections.

》The notion that humans only use 10 percent of their brain is a myth. Neurologists confirm that the brain is constantly active and engaged, even during sleep, indicating that all parts of the brain are utilized.

The human brain can generate approximately 23 watts of power, enough to power a lightbulb. This level of activity necessitates adequate rest to maintain brain pathways. Sleep deprivation can lead to an increase in the accumulation of a protein associated with Alzheimer's disease in the brain.

》The human brain is divided into two hemispheres, the left and right, linked by the corpus callosum, a bundle of nerve fibers. While the hemispheres are mostly symmetrical, they may have slight differences. Typically, the left brain governs the muscles on the right side of the body, and vice versa. One hemisphere may exhibit dominance, such as in left- or right-handedness.

》The brain itself lacks pain receptors, so it doesn't experience pain directly. Instead, it interprets pain signals received from other parts of the body.

》By your late 20s, the human brain starts to experience a decline in some memory abilities and cognitive skills.

MRI scans can detect romantic love by revealing heightened activity in brain regions associated with reward, motivation, emotion, and social functioning. Comparisons with individuals not in relationships or those who had recently ended one further highlight these patterns.

》The brain consumes 20% of the body's oxygen and blood supply.

Male and female brains exhibit some differences in size and processing characteristics.
Men's brains are around 10% larger than women's, but this doesn't affect intelligence. Studies suggest variations in how the brain processes pain, with women showing higher sensitivity. Women have more grey matter but use less of it compared to men, while also using more white matter. The male brain may differ in social decision-making and stress coping. However, ongoing research is needed to understand the underlying causes of these differences.

Brains are as unique as fingerprints. While they may appear similar at first glance, each person's brain anatomy is distinct due to a combination of experiences, learning, and genetics. No two brains are alike, and ongoing experiences continue to shape brain development and wiring. It wasn't until relatively recently that scientists discovered the extent of individual differences in brain structure and function.

Body health affects brain health. Proper nutrition and hydration are essential, as even slight dehydration can impair cognition. Exercise is crucial too, as it boosts learning capacity and slows cognitive decline. Regular exercise can delay brain aging by up to ten years.

Heavy alcohol consumption can lead to irreversible damage to cognitive function and memory, increasing the risk of conditions like dementia.