Fourteen.

"People like to think that they understand things but in reality, they know nothing," -C.T

"Are you okay?" I nodded to the sound of my mother's voice as she drifted in the doorway, concern in her blue eyes. It had been years before I heard the sound of her voice being so kind to me, but I didn't have it in me to be an asshole right this moment, especially when she had her own to think about. "Okay," She whispered, teetering on her feet and I could sense that she had something else to say, so I just motioned for her to come in.

"There's some weird poor-looking man here to see you, Cheyenne," Davina stepped into my room, her eyes softening upon the sight of me. Even if she did not want to act like it, we both knew that she wouldn't hesitate to defend me. 

Just like she did yesterday when Christine showed up in all her glory.

"Who?" I replied, wondering who she was talking about. "He looks like a builder, so maybe you hired him without telling us. He's very tall, looks kind of plain, wearing white with those Timbs that Cordelia keeps talking about," She described and I narrowed my eyes, having a vague recollection of this individual. I made a face and scrunched my nose in confusion, wondering why this person sounded familiar. "When he spoke to you, did he sound like he smoked for a living with an unusually deep voice?" I questioned and she nodded in reply, narrowing her eyes.

Ah, what the hell was he doing on my turf?

I grumbled in annoyance as she waited for me to say something, wondering what choice I was going to make. "...send him up," I rolled my eyes and she pinned me with a curious stare before going to do as asked. I sat up on the edge of my bed, smoothing down my silk nightshirt. It was common knowledge that I didn't sleep with pants on, and I definitely didn't after yesterday because I just knew a nightmare was going to destroy my brain.

So I just stayed with the cover over my lap as I waited for this man to walk up the stairs to my room. I didn't have half of the energy to play nice or even more, so whatever he wanted, he better have made it quick.

Suddenly, there was a rapt knock at the door. "Come in," I muttered lowly with a heaved sigh. "Hey!" In walked in a six-foot and four inches tall male with his brown hair disheveled over his plain face. He was smiling, but I didn't really care to pay attention to it. 

"If it isn't the poor boy," I drawled with sarcasm as the man of honor stepped into my room, eyes widened in glory as he took in the interior design. "Wow, you rich people go all out," I hadn't heard that raspy smoker's voice in a while and I had to admit that it was not a bad touch. "The hell do you want, Joaquin?" I wasn't trying to be mean for the first time in my life, but my emotions were so out of control and my mouth was not filtered, not that it ever was, and I didn't want to make things worse.

"Wow, the first time you've ever called me by my name." 

I contemplated killing myself as he shut the door, giving me all of his undivided attention. It was a little awkward, considering the last time we saw each other, I said shit about his wife and his worth, and he told me I was basically Sterling 2.0.

So, yeah, it wasn't the best feeling right now. "Not gonna say I'm tarnishing your very expensive carpet, or polluting the air with my presence?" He said with an amused snicker and I raised a brow, not falling for it. I was still irritated with everything and since he was here, he was going to get the brunt of it. Sure, I was going to have to air my room out so that my precious oxygen could be replenished, but it wasn't going to happen right this minute.

"Wow, Vivi was right when she said you were not yourself," I had no idea what he was talking about as he stepped closer to me. I hadn't spoken to Vivi since we hashed everything out, so I had no clue how he knew I wasn't myself. "The fuck are you talking about? You don't know me well enough to say that I'm not always like this," Joaquin shook his head, removing his shades. "I don't," He smirked with confidence, his maybe-white teeth gleaming.