Chapter Twenty Four: Recruiting Time

He flicked his cigarette butt into the bushes by the front porch before knocking on the door, pasting on his most charming smile when he heard the doorknob start to turn. He had learned about her when he searched the internet for the man Logan had taken Rori to and holed up with and he was willing to use whatever means necessary to get his baby girl back.

"Shelia Williams? My name is Kyle Harrington and I need to talk to you about your son."

The small woman in front of him reeked of alcohol and vomit, her blonde hair matted to her head. He forced himself to keep smiling when she stepped out on the porch with him and shut the door behind her, crossing her arms over her chest and looking at him expectantly.

"Your son is hiding my ex and daughter, they ran as soon as I filed for sole custody. I have reason to believe that they're hurting my baby and I really need your help to get her back. I'm scared if I leave her with my ex and your son for too long that she'll end up sustaining injuries that she won't be able to come back from," he lied, hoping that the disgust he felt deep in his bones wasn't showing in his voice.

He hadn't been expecting much when he pulled up in front of the house, but she didn't even look like she cared about his sob story. Shelia Williams was obviously not the type of mother that was moved by injustice done to children.

"Your ex is a gold digging whore. She convinced my son to stop sending the money he owes me to take care of the two of them. Why should I help you?" Shelia sneered, causing Kyle's smile to slip a little.

He hadn't come prepared for a woman who seemed to not care about children, or one that was so self absorbed they needed a personal gain to do something.

"Because if you help me get my daughter back, my ex will be removed from the picture and your son can go back to doing whatever it is you need him to do. I just need you to get him out of the house in a few days time. Come up with an emergency, tell him your fridge broke for all I care. I just need to get my daughter back," Kyle growled, losing his patience.

Shelia nodded her head slowly, bloodshot eyes meeting his. He allowed his shoulders to sag a bit and his smile to look less forced, hoping he was portraying relieved father.

"I'll give you the address you can meet me at in three days. By the end of this, we should both be leaving happy."