Chapter V: Shopping

It was during one of the times Vernon drove Dudley and I home from school when I first saw the sign for a place that taught martial arts.

Like most boys my age, I had a fascination with the idea of learning to fight like Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee. I could probably blame all those fighting movies Dudley loved to watch so much, but for a while now, I had wanted to learn to fight with more than just my magic.

And so I decided that I was going to learn martial arts... one way or another.

Absolutely not! I refuse to have you learn anything else that can be used to hurt my family! You've already done enough with those freakishly unnatural powers of yours! I won't allow you to learn how to fight!”

Naturally, Vernon did not want me learning hand-to-hand combat.

You seem to think I was giving you a choice.” I smiled, amused that this fat fool actually thought he had any say in what I could and could not do.

What was that?” Vernon's face turned a rather unsightly shade of puce. On his walrus-like face, it was awfully disgusting.

I was not asking you to let me learn martial arts,” I continued, watching as Vernon began to tremble. The man never could keep his temper down. “I was telling you that I am going to be learning martial arts. You have no choice in the matter.”

Vernon unleashed a beastly roar as he charged me, his hands coming up and making grasping motions. I got the feeling he was hoping those hands would be wrapped around my neck.

Not that it mattered. I would never give him the chance to get close enough.

Vernon!”

Lifting a single hand, I called upon my power. Seconds later, Vernon was hurled not just into, but straight through the wall as I used my ability and “pushed” him away.

Smiling, I walked up to the hole my fat uncle had made and saw the man lying there, groaning in pain. Standing over him was a worried looking Petunia and their obese son, Dudley.

Look at what you did to my husband, you nasty little freak!” The woman screeched at me. I gave her a smile.

It was not a pleasant smile.

Seconds later the woman found herself on the floor, gasping as I created a vacuum in which no oxygen existed around her head. I had gotten the idea from a movie I watched once. It was a rather ingenious idea, I had to admit.

Thank you, Darth Vader, for giving me this wonderful idea.

Do you have a problem with the way I do things, Petunia?” I asked the woman as she clutched at her throat, her eyes wider than dish pans, face turning purple from lack of oxygen. She stared at me in horror as I smiled down at her. I could practically smell her fear. It was intoxicating.

Oi!” Dudley stood up with clenched fists. “What are you doing to mum?!”

You're not very quick on the uptake, are you?” I allowed amusement to seep into my voice. This boy was the very definition of stupidity. Where I received the highest marks in my class, Dudley had nearly failed his. Primates were smarter than he was.

Are you making fun of me!?” It took him a second to come to this conclusion. I was frankly just surprised he had come to it at all.

Not that I would allow this to ruin my fun.