Chapter 8

Rebecca was practically giddy when I'd returned to my room and told her about my conversation with the prince.

"I told you he wasn't like you thought," she said.

"You were right." I nodded. "But he was angry last night. He was angry again today, but I think it was because of what was going on. I got the impression that none of this was his decision. He was probably upset about having everyone intruding on his time with his fiance."

She pursed her lips in thought. "That would make sense. He and Miss Graham have always been close. I think he truly loves her and has for a while."

I smiled hearing that. I knew I wasn't imagining his affection for her. But still, whether this whole thing was his decision or not, he was still choosing someone. Why else would we all be here? Maybe he was just upset about the timing.

"Well, you can relax now," she said. "The hard part is over."

In theory maybe. "Do you know when I'll find out if..."

If? There was no way he was going to pick me with all those other girls to choose from. We may have had a friendly conversation, but I really don't think that's what a man looks for in a mistress. I felt foolish for hoping for something so idiotic before. How long would I have to wait to find out how severely father would punish me? Would I even survive it? Would I wish I hadn't?

"I'm not sure," she said. "I mean, no one really tells me anything. Usually I just hear people talking. But the prince typically knows what he wants, so he's probably already made up his mind. It might be a few days until he says anything though, so everyone thinks he's really giving it some thought."

So he was considerate enough not to brush people off... But it was going to be a very long few days for me, no matter what the outcome.

"How about some lunch?" Rebecca suggested, trying to distract me. "I know you must be ravenous by now."

Honestly, I hadn't been thinking about eating. I was still so nervous, I wasn't sure I wanted to try. But at her words, my stomach grumbled loudly.

Rebecca giggled. "I'll just be a moment." She rushed from the room, leaving me to think some more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days later, I still hadn't heard anything. It was torture. It was heaven.

My anxiety over the outcome of the prince's decision was considerable, but these last few days had been wonderfully free of my father. I hadn't even seen him since we left that room together. And at home, he had never given me even half of the comforts that I had full access to in this room.

I was even told that I was free to wander the grounds if I chose, but I was too nervous about being seen by someone who would know why I was here. I didn't want to risk missing any news either. Still, spending several days in this one room was far more pleasant than spending them at home would be. And Rebecca was far better company than I'd ever had before.

I wasn't used to having someone around to cater to my every whim, so there wasn't much I wanted Rebecca to do. I had trouble even thinking of what to ask for. Which meant that she had very little to do overall, since taking care of me was her main responsibility. She'd probably been working very hard most of her life, so I know she appreciated the simple job, and I was glad I could make things easier for her.

Having assured her that I truly wanted to be her friend, she allowed herself to relax and the typical walls between the classes fell away completely. She chatted easily and I learned about her family - she had six sibling and they were all very close - and all about life here in the castle. It was far more interesting than I ever would have thought. I just assumed it was relatively boring, where the servants simply did the jobs they were supposed to do while the royals and their guests quietly went about their lives. Most of the upper class held the foolish idea that the servants almost weren't really people. That they merely existed to serve their employers, with no other interests or personality besides. I was ashamed when I realized I'd assumed that to a large degree as well. But according to Rebecca, there was quite a bit of drama among the staff. There were all sorts of love connections - some returned, some not, and even a few love triangles. There was plotting and backstabbing, and cliques. And I learned all sorts of secrets about the royals and other members of the upper class. I didn't know who most of them were, but it was still entertaining.