Chapter 36

"What's that?" Michael frowned at the folded paper I'd placed on the table in front of him. I wanted to laugh at the way he looked like he thought it might explode.

"Open it," I said, forcing myself to keep a straight face.

Michael hadn't forgiven Reed at all. I wasn't worried that he might attack him any more, but he was decidedly not happy that I'd welcomed him back without at least making him serve penance. He would have been much happier if I'd refused to forgive him and sent him away forever, but he at least wanted Reed to work for it. Since I wouldn't make him, Michael had been sulky and he'd taken to glowering any time either of us were near. Though mostly, he'd been avoiding me. It wasn't very difficult most of the time since he could spend almost all day outside, but at meal times, it wasn't possible. Anne wouldn't stand for him staying away altogether, so he typically ate quickly and then hurried away. Many times pulling Rebecca with him.

His behavior was a little frustrating, but I also thought it was sweet. And a real testament to how much he loved me. He was angry because I'd been so hurt. It was hard to be upset about that.

Like Rebecca said, it really wasn't in his nature to stay angry, but I suppose it had been so difficult for him to see me so devastated, he wasn't able to let it go easily. I couldn't fully explain Reed's reasons to him to help him understand either. But since it was so contrary to who he was, I could tell how miserable holding onto it was making him.

I'd wanted to give him this for a few days and had already failed to corner him several times. I figured the best time to do it would be before he had the chance to start eating, so he couldn't just hurry away.

Michael glanced up at me and I could tell he was debating whether to give in or not. After a moment, his curiosity won and he reached for the paper. Unsure of what he'd find, he threw another glance at me before he opened the paper to examine it.

It didn't take long for his frown to be replaced by astonishment. He stared at the paper for a long time before meeting my eyes again.

I smiled.

"This is..." he said, not sure how to continue. He focused on the paper again.

Curious about what it was, Rebecca leaned over and Anne moved to stand behind him. When Anne saw what it was, she gasped and then looked at me.

"How did you know?" Her eyes looked a little misty.

It was the picture I'd drawn after Michael told me about his father. It was of a man carving a bird from a piece of wood. Not knowing what his father looked like, I'd pictured him mostly like Michael and a little like Keira, but a little unique too. I hadn't intended to actually show anyone, but lately I'd been feeling like Michael should have it. It also seemed like a good peace offering at the moment.

"Michael told me his father was talented in woodworking and I just..." I shrugged with an awkward smile. I'd only intended to show it to Michael. Anne knew what her husband had looked like though. She would know the difference.

"It looks like him," she said as a tear slid down her cheek. She eagerly looked down at the picture again, smiling.

Feeling myself getting a little teary, I made up my mind to draw another one for Anne.

Michael looked up again, no longer seeming conflicted, and smiled. "Thanks." His voice sounded a little thick and something told me that the worst was over. He still might not be overjoyed with Reed, but I knew he wouldn't be so angry anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Four long months later, my wedding day finally arrived.