Chapter 18

In my excitement, I assumed everything would happen the next day. But naturally, that was ridiculous. The prince could make anything happen, but not necessarily over night. Mr. Mitchell didn't live here in the castle. Obviously it would take time.

I tried to be patient, but it was difficult. I had no idea when anything would happen, or even if it was certain. Just because the prince was going to try to arrange it, didn't mean that Mr. Mitchell would agree. For all he knew, I ran away from him twice. Why come all the way back to the castle to have me run away a third time? I didn't even truly know if he was interested in me. Maybe he was just curious. Maybe his valet exaggerated.

Rebecca told me I was crazy for thinking that way, but I couldn't help it. Regardless of what the prince told me, I had a hard time believing that anyone would find me very fascinating at all.

I just wish I had some clue about when something would happen. More than a week had gone by since my conversation with the prince and I hadn't heard a thing. Which had given me plenty of time to worry about everything that could possibly go wrong. Even if he did want to see me, what on earth would we talk about? The pleasantries only took a few seconds.

A knock sounded on the door, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Come in," I called and Rebecca entered the room.

"A visitor, My Lady," she said before stepping aside to reveal the elder Keira.

"I hope I'm not intruding?" Keira said, coming into the room.

"Of course not." I went over to greet her. "You're welcome any time. Anyway, it's not as if I have very much to keep me busy or anywhere to go." I laughed. It was too cold out today to even think of going to the stables.

"That's sort of why I've come," she said. "Can we sit?"

"Sure."

"I'll bring some tea," Rebecca offered, ducking out of the room.

"Thank you, Rebecca," I said, but I wasn't sure she heard me.

"How would you feel about leaving?" Keira began once we were seated at the table.

"Where would I go?" I wasn't opposed to the idea, I just hadn't been expecting it.

"Well, I was thinking that you might like to stay with my mother for a while."

I definitely wasn't expecting that. "Your mother?"

She nodded. "It would be something of a favor to me actually. She's getting older but she doesn't want to admit it. She won't even hear of us hiring someone to stay with her while my brother is away. And I'm not much use in my current state." She gestured to her swollen belly. "My husband wouldn't dream of letting me ride a horse or get up onto a wagon by myself, and it practically takes me all day to waddle over there. Not to mention having to drag the children along."

I was so confused. "Of course I wouldn't mind, but I don't understand why she would want me to stay with her." Or why Keira even thought to ask me.

Keira smiled. "That's because you don't know my mother. If she believes you need a place to stay, she won't hear of you staying anywhere else. She loves taking care of people any way she can."

"But why..." I wasn't sure how to ask without sounding rude. Why would I need a place to stay?

"Reed doesn't live very far away," she said, apparently reading my mind.

"Oh." My cheeks warmed and I shyly glanced down.

"I know the prince hoped to arrange a few meetings for the two of you, and I thought it might be much easier, not to mention more comfortable in that setting, than it would be here."