Chapter 6: No Comment

As the doorbell echoed through the halls of the house, I ran down the stairs to get the door. I had been waiting for this moment for days. Ever since Miles and I saw the movie together, we had talked nonstop. Slowly my rational fear that he would hurt me just like Isaac faded into the background.

"Mom, I'm going out! I'll see you later tonight," I called out to her office.

"Have fun!" she shouted and with that, I opened the door to see Miles on the front step wearing some outfit I swore I've seen in one of Everly's fashion magazines.

"Hey. Right on time."

"I have a thing about being on time," he said as I closed the door. "Are you hungry, Isla?"

"Yeah, let's go."

"Great," he said as he led me to his Subaru, opening the door for me to get into the car.

As I got into the car, I felt my cheeks grow hot. Brownie points to him for being a gentleman.

"Want to play more of your music?"

"You mean it?" It blew me away he would even ask such a question still. In the back of my mind, a little voice told me it was a trap, just like Isaac, and that was enough for me to remain cautious.

He laughed as he drove off. "Of course I mean it. I wouldn't say it if I didn't want to listen."

I smiled as I connected my phone, putting on the last song I listened to.

"How do you find this music?" Miles asked after the first song ended.

"I have a gift for finding the lonely."

"Lonely music?"

"Lonely anything."

Tristen and Dad both agreed that lonely things just clung to me. They said that I was the light in the darkness. However, I didn't quite see the truth in that statement when I often felt just as lonely as them. Maybe that was why I found them, because lonely things stayed together.

"I believe it," he said in a serious tone. "Ok, next song!"

My fingers hit the next song on my playlist, which was upbeat, and I couldn't help but dance in my seat to it.

Miles chuckled as he took a turn on the road. "You got some major dance moves."

I laughed as I became more comfortable. I would not be afraid of his judgment. If he liked my music, he probably wouldn't mind my moves either.

As the song died down, Miles parked the car. "Ok, we're here."

I looked at the fancy restaurant in front of me. I had passed this place many times before, but I had never been here since it was expensive.

"Are you coming or what, Isla?"

My head snapped towards Miles and realized he had already stepped out of the car and was waiting for me to follow. I shook my head to clear it and follow him.

We were attended to quickly, as someone came to sit us at a table almost instantly. "Is there anything you need from me right now?" the server asked us as we sat down, looking nervous.

I smiled at him, trying to calm him. "No, thank you."

He nodded as he scurried off, allowing me to pick up the menu.

"So what is your favorite food?" I asked him, trying to make conversation.

"Italian," Miles replied.

"You picked well. It's almost like you're a local," I said as I looked at the Italian menu in front of me.