XII - Sin

Sin

The heavy bass engulfed me, the hum of bodies writhing and pulsing on the dance floor called to me, reminding me that I'd yet to drink anything tonight. As much as I wanted to slip into the mass of humans and find a meal, it'd have to wait.

The night was barely half over, but it already seemed like an eternity had passed since I had awoken this evening. I'd been putting things back in order for Nickolas. Creating the proper paperwork that humans were so fond of, getting all of the legal issues sorted, locating all the deeds to Nickolas' estates; the whole situation was a mess. And on top of doing all that, I had to do it without any of those nosy Court spies finding out about it. It was a true nightmare.

I found the bar, and fought my way through the crowd that hung around it looking for drinks. Catching the eye of one of the bartenders, I asked her about Jay. She pointed behind me and I turned, looking. The entire back of the club had been sectioned off into private booths.

"The last one on the right, with the curtain closed," she yelled over the music.

I passed a 50 pound note into her hand and thanked her. When I got up to the private section, a bouncer tried to stop me but I stepped passed him, parting the curtains that hid the booth. Inside, a group of barely legal girls were clustered around a fairly good looking man. Their laughter died off as they took notice of me.

"Can I help you?" the guy said, in the same voice I'd heard on the phone last night. He was fairly good looking, with startling hazel eyes and short spiked hair.

"I'm looking for Jay." I stood still, forcing myself to stand straighter, taller. I killed the expressions on my face, leaving only a cold anger in my eyes.

He looked confused for a moment before a light turned on in that dim human head of his.

"That's right! Sin, wasn't it? What took you so long? I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty to invite some company." He laughed again, the girls giggling with him. He took a long sip of some neon green cocktail and waved at me to take a seat.

I remained standing. "I'd much rather we talked in private."

Jay sighed and set his drink down on the little glass table in front of him. "Sorry girls, but party's over." He stood and ushered them out. They filed out slowly, leaving a trail of glitter and over-priced body fragrance in their wake.

"You're so serious. You should learn to lighten up, live a little," he said when he turned back to me, then laughed at his own joke.

I could feel my muscles tightening as I balled my fists. I focused on schooling my features. I just have to act calm.

"So," he continued. "What does the Prince's pet want with a Hewiet, hm? I'll just go ahead and assume that you want one of the guys, since they're the ones with all the power."

I counted to ten. The last thing I needed to do was lose my temper. "I'm afraid that's just between him and my employer."

"How is Prince Nickolas?" he asked.

My thoughts slowed for a fraction of a second. Did he know Nickolas was awake? He took my silence as invitation to continue.

"I haven't heard much of him these past few years. It's as if he isn't around any-"

Rage boiled under my skin. I'd had enough with him and his games. I grabbed him by the neck, pushing him back against the wall in one easy movement. It surprised me that he was much lighter than he looked.

"Nickolas is none of your concern. Do you have the information I need or not?" I hissed at him, making sure my teeth were only inches away from his face.