XIV - Jonathan

Jonathan

I knelt in the clearing, glancing nervously at Michaela and the others from the mansion that stood around me. Decat stood next to me, a hand on my shoulder to keep me in place. We'd driven for an hour or so, before walking a short distance into the woods. The clearing was much larger than the one that Seth and I had camped in. That seemed like ages ago.

Michaela moved closer to me, Hale a step behind her. He held a stone bowl, and a golden knife in his hands.

"I've called you here to witness the birth of our blood brother." Michaela spoke, glancing around the circle. "We gather in the clearing, to show our roots to the earth. We gather under the full moon, to show our devotion to the night."

She took the knife from Hale, and holding her wrist over the bowl, drew the blade across her skin. "Blood calls to blood. It binds us together as mother and child, sire and fledgling, vampire to vampire."

I watched as she let her blood drip into the bowl, my stomach growling at the sight of it. I clenched my teeth. Michaela took the bowl from Hale and passed him the knife. She stepped even closer to me, dipping her fingers into the blood. They came out dripping, coated scarlet. I was disgusted at myself for wanting it, even after what had happened with Griffin.

"This night we gather, to call you to our nocturnal fate." Michaela pressed something cold and hard to my forehead. Pain rolled through my body, as ice crept through my veins. I fell to the ground gasping, as laughter filled my mind.

Stop, it's not funny! I yelled at it.

Oh, but it is, the voice replied. To me at least.

Who are you? The pain seemed to be fading. I tried to push myself up, but my body wouldn't move. My hand twitched first, then I moved. But I wasn't the one in control. It was like earlier, when the voice had taken control to drink Michaela's blood.

I'm you, Jonathan. But frankly, your name isn't my style.

My body stood, turning slowly towards Michaela. It bowed. I fought against the presence that had stolen my body. I fought, but it continued to laughed at me.

"Sire," the presence said. It was my voice, but different; harsher. My lips moved again. "You may call me Kain."