XV - Nickolas

Nickolas

I stared out at the sun lit skyline, still amazed at how much the world had changed in my absence. Even with Samera's extensive explanations, there were still some concepts I was having trouble understanding.

A high pitched wailing filled the room, and I turned to find its source. Samera picked up her black electronic device from the table, and the noise ceased. She was never without it and constantly fiddled with it. She spoke to it now in hushed tones, then shoved it in her pants pocket.

"Seth contacted me. Again," she said in an agitated voice. She moved closer, coming to stand next to me at the window.

I sighed, looking back at the city. Even for a human of Orion's decent, Seth's determination was admirable. Although, I was sure he was just as frustrated with us for not having anything new to tell him.

"Any further word from Sin?" I asked.

"The Hewiet and a person by the name of Jay are on their way. They will contact me when they arrive. Sin should be back by next week at the latest."

Jay. It was possible that a completely different person named Jay had gotten caught up in this, though I highly doubted that. Jayger did have his own way of wriggling into, and out of, whatever situation as he pleases.

I watched as the city came to life as the sun died in the west. The humans ferocity for life still amused me, and as I looked down over them, I found myself thinking about the visions the Grand Sire had shown me. I had recognized Seth that night in the alley with only a moments glance. Seeing the knife in his hand had only confirmed it.

Help him, and he will lead you to the new Prince. That is what the Grand Sire had said. My mind was already thinking of the possible scenarios, and possible outcomes. But one thing was starting to bothering me more than anything. That this situation was too similar to my own past.

I shook my head slightly, retreating from the light to seek comfort in the darker parts of the room.

"Nickolas?" She turned to follow me, like a proper Servant would. Attentive to my every need, sometimes even before I knew.

I motioned for her to stay. "We will wait for Hewiet and meet this Jay before making anymore plans. Rest for now, Samera." I turned, heading for the room my coffin had been placed in. I was still too weak from the long slumber. "This is only the beginning."

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Thank you so much for reading! This is the end of Nocturnal Fate, but only the beginning of the Lightwalkers Novelette series. The next book, Darkest, can be found here.

Acknowledgments

First and foremost, my thanks to Sarra Cannon, Erica Reader, and Alok Baikadi, my friends and amazing critique group for being there and always pushing me towards my best. A big thank you to the Monday Night Panera writers, you keep me inspired and motivated. I want to thank Jessica Frye, who without her, I'm sure the character Jonathan never would have existed. I would also like to thank Gabrielle at Cover Your Dreams for such an AMAZING cover! A big thank you to my family, for all the wonderful support and swift kicks to the rear I needed to keep moving forward. Last but not least: my husband, Joshua. Thank you for simply being here, beside me.

This series is brought to you by my awesome patrons on Patreon! If you'd like to help support my writing, and earn some awesome perks along the way, check out my page on Patreon.