In which I join a club (6)

*Unedited*

The rest of the day I managed to not run into Kyle and his friends, and luckily no one else bothered me.

I didn't see anyone else being picked on at the school, at least not on my first day.

Why was I the only one, then? Or did I just not see it yet?

It made me feel like a freak, thinking I was the only one. Like there was something wrong with me. They didn't even know I was gay, so it wasn't because of that.

Why was it always me who becomes the target?

I tried to act like everything was going well when I was talking to mom on the phone.

It was only seven pm, but I decided to sleep after I hang up. There was dinner at eight, but I couldn't get myself to willingly get out of the room, even if I were hungry.

Mom bought me a sandwich on our drive here, and because of the nerves and my motion sickness I didn't eat it. I decided to eat that for dinner before mom called, and because I was worried I'll get hungry again, I decided it was best to sleep early.

Mom asked me long questions I couldn't answer, but I tried my best and came up with a few lies.

I'm not proud of it, since I hate lying to mom. I just knew that if she didn't hear those certain things, she won't leave me alone.

And so I lied and said I was getting along great with my new classmates, and I made a few friends.

That the teachers are nice, and the classes are interesting.

I didn't like to lie, but it seems like I wasn't that bad at it since mom never suspected a thing when I hid what was happening at my old school, and now what was happing in this school.

I hang up after mumbling "Love you too", feeling my stomach ache from all the lying. Yeah, I really hated lying.

I stared at the white walls in the room as I ate, my mind lost in thoughts.

I kept thinking about the club thing, stressing it again. I just have no idea what to do, because I really couldn't someone wanting me to join their club.

But I also realized something, thinking back to Wes's words.

If I stayed alone in this school, I wouldn't blend in and be left alone.

I would become an easy target. In fact, I already was. I wasn't strong, and Kyle and his friend saw that.

I had to find a club.

*

I took a pill for the pain in my arm and back. My back was probably slightly bruised, mostly since I bruised easily.

I glanced at the now yellow mark on my cheek. It was almost gone, and if it weren't for the white cast on my arm, you wouldn't be able to tell I went through something.

But if Kyle and his friends had any say in the matter, it probably won't last for long.

I sighed, putting on a dark hoodie on top of my white shirt as if it would help me disappear.

I quickly put on my dirty sneakers, took my bag and exited my room. There were boys filtering out and in from the dorm rooms, laughing with their friends. Some were still in their pj's, a few going around without a shirt, making me avert my eyes to the floor as I walked.

They were serving breakfast at the cafeteria, but again I couldn't even think about all the people who fill it.

It would be a nightmare for me, I was sure of it.