5 - Of Marriage and Children

Little feet scuttled downstairs, whispers and titters filtering from behind the entrance door after I rang the doorbell at Auntie Chantrea's. A grin spread on my face while I waited for an adult to welcome me in.

"Hello!" Jarod's toothless smile shone brightly at me when his mother opened. "You're pretty," he added, fluffing my skirt.

"Aww, thank you, sweetie." I smooched him on the forehead, straightening his Paw Patrol T-shirt, and pinched his cheeks until he protested and dashed to hide in the living room.

"Hello, Auntie." I hugged her, the corners of my mouth lifting up at the sight of the hair rollers on her head.

She ushered me in and closed the door. "Hi, Leah. Sorry, I'm running late. Grace offered me a broccoli puree face and hair mask during lunch."

"Well, hello, little scallywag," I cooed, extending a hand to help the baby get on her feet. She accepted it, and wobbled proudly in my arms, her pudgy fingers clutching at my neckline.

Grace tugged at my shoulders, asking for a hug, a kiss, any form of attention. Auntie Chantrea and I complied, overwhelming her with tickles and peek-a-boos, until Jarod darted back in the hallway, claiming his share of affection.

The four of us trotted to the living room, our pace matching the baby's, who was swaying yet managing not to fall.

"Thank you so much for babysitting the rascals this afternoon," Uncle Wade greeted me.

While I sat the children in front of the television, Auntie and Uncle ran upstairs to finish preparing. Jarod grabbed the remote and hid it under a cushion, his gaze drilled on his favourite TV show.

"Jarod..." I raised an amused brow. "Did you check with your little sister if she was okay with your choice of cartoon?"

"See the pups, Gracie?" he asked, ignoring my plea. "You like the Paw Patrol, don't you?"

"Paw," Gracie beamed, unaware of the trap her big brother was laying in front of her.

"Are you happy watching puppies with me?"

Grace paused, her nose wrinkling as she pondered, before answering, "No."

I snorted at my cousin's disappointed face, and picked up the remote. After ten seconds of grumbling, Jarod joined us to select a program that would suit them both.

Mickey Mouse and his friends were calling Toodles for the umptieth time when Uncle and Auntie galloped down the stairs with their coats.

"The cinema complex is ten minutes away, and the movie is about two hours long. We should be back around six. Be nice to your cousin, kids." Auntie took the car keys and strode to her red sedan.

"Don't forget to switch off the television at least thirty minutes before the nap; otherwise, they might have trouble sleeping. Apple slices and yoghurt await them in the fridge for snack time." Uncle Wade kissed his children's cheeks while they waggled on the ending theme.

"Noted," I confirmed as I danced to The Hot Dog Song along with my cousins.

Afterwards, I took Grace in my arms, and with her brother, we waved the parents goodbye from the porch.

"Do you have your Bridge? Can I try it?" Jarod asked, the moment their car backed off in the alley.

"I have it with me, but I cannot lend it to you, sweetie. Once activated, it will only react to its owner." My heart melted at his adorable pout. "But you can hold its case while we watch TV, if you want."

I grinned as he accepted the little box with awe and reverence, and slowly walked back to the sofa.

Grace's attention span for Mickey Mouse's adventures having already been spent, we both settled on the rug with wooden blocks. I built columns, walls, and castles with them. She drooled at my dexterity, her admirative eyes following my hands and widening at yet another brick stacked without the whole structure tumbling down.