18 - Sims

Jane craned her neck towards the porch, and a gentle smile blossomed when she spotted Mr. Bingley there, surrounded by his party.

He greeted us with effusion as they went down the stairs to welcome our group. "Miss Bennet. Miss Elizabeth. Mr. Lucas. What a fine coincidence. Mr. Darcy was urging me to put an end to breakfast, and to take one last look at the house. Listening to his pressing and heartfelt demand, one might forget that I am to return the day following my leaving."

Behind him, Darcy changed his position in order for me to be the only person to notice his wink. I repressed a grin at Theo's silliness.

Jane curtsied. "Mr. Bingley, I apologise for intruding, but it appears I have misplaced an item during the ball."

"Err, really? I am afraid no handkerchief was found by the servants afterwards." A faint pink covered Bingley's ear tip.

In his back, Theo shifted again, and mouthed something I couldn't make. As I gaped at him, befuddled, he sighed, "Mr. Bingley, at present our party has been enhanced with the most elegant additions. Shall we take this turn around the park?"

"Why, of course." Bingley agreed and offered his arm to Jane.

They lead the way on the graveled path circling Netherfield, enamored and unmindful of the subtle art of pairing up walkers. Mr. and Mrs. Hurst interlaced their arms and fell into step behind them, uncaring of what would happen outside of their haughty bubble.

With a graceful bow, Charles proposed, "Miss Bingley, would you do me the honour of a promenade?"

Caroline's gaze flicked to his tense face, and her plump lips pinched together before she gave a curt nod. She put her slender fingers on his forearm, careful as to apply as little pressure as possible. In silence, he guided her towards the Hursts, and I glimpsed at the nervous twiddling of his free hand.

Once all non-playable characters were out of earshot, I whispered to Theo, "Hi. How are you doing? I wanted to text you, but I don't have your phone number."

"Isn't meeting here better, though?" He gestured in the direction of Netherfield, then the trees sheltering us from the rising wind. "But thank you for asking. The last update eased the load."

"About that, is something different about Caroline in the current version?"

He took a little peep at me and shrugged Darcy's broad shoulders. "She's been distant during breakfast. Not a single compliment this morning. I don't even know if my way of drinking tea was masterful or simply brilliant."

I elbowed him then slipped my arm under his. "Charles is unsettled by her behaviour. He is afraid to have given offense to her."

"With the introduction of Charlotte's male alter ego last Thursday, new paths have been added to the game. However, I don't recall his file mentioning he was to upset Miss Bingley--quite the contrary. Lemme check."

Darcy stopped in his tracks, nearly dislocating my shoulder as his body froze and held me on the spot. I made a bid to disengage my arm from his, then gave up, and sank against his muscular frame.

Bingley and Jane had disappeared behind a corner of the gravel walk, and were about to be caught up by Mr. and Mrs. Hurst. About thirty yards before us, Charles Lucas and Caroline were advancing with the rigidity and alacrity of a military corps. I studied the stiff way she held her head, and the distance she maintained between their bodies. Was her contempt a result of Sir William Lucas' numerous blunders? Though courteous and obliging, the old knight had a tendency to splutter nonsense.

"Wow. You've caused a mess." Theo dived back in Darcy's shell with a chuckle.

I put my fists on my hips and raised my chin up. "What did I do this time?"