2 | HOT LIPS

Rhys knew there was safety in numbers when breaking up with someone

Rhys knew there was safety in numbers when breaking up with someone. An audience made a woman think twice before causing a scene. Well, most of the time, but not always. When Kayla stormed out of the restaurant seven years ago, he'd ended up with a glass of wine in his face. Then there was Ainsley. The memory of her throwing beer bottles at him made him shiver.

Staring across the table at Laken, he wondered what kept him from falling in love with her. She was a beautiful, fun girl, but beyond the sex, they had nothing in common.

In his twenties, quantity had been more important than quality. But now at thirty-four—he stopped. The number reminded him he'd never been in love. Not even close. Never had his heart broken. Not a single time. What did that say about him? He didn't consider himself a manwhore, but was he so shallow that he couldn't invest enough in a relationship to let it develop beyond the occasional two am booty call? Had he done that with Laken?

Her eyes brightened, and she licked her pink lips. The knowledge of what they were capable of sucked the thoughts from his brain.

"Why don't we go away next weekend? I found a cute little B&B online, and I've always wanted to fuck in one." She tossed her brown curls for effect and took a deep breath. Full breasts rose from her green dress.

"You're great, Laken."

She fluttered her long thick lashes like pine needles swaying in a breeze on the first day of hunting season. "We've been dating a couple months now and..."

"Four." She wiggled fingers in the air. "It's been four months."

He tried to hold back a grimace. "Yeah, and it's been great, but..."

She sat up straight and threw her hand in front of her body as if directing traffic. "Wait! Are you breaking up with me?"

"We're all wrong for each other. You have to admit this isn't really going anywhere." He leaned forward, resting his arms on the table, and searched her expression for possible retaliation. She wasn't reaching for her water or wine. A good sign.

"I can't believe you're dumping me. And here I was debating anal with you."

He choked on his drink. Damn, he needed to hurry up with it before he changed his mind. The music and candlelight were getting to him, not to mention the promise he saw in her eyes. "I'm sorry. We're better off as friends. That's not fair to either of us."

She started to say something but must have thought better because she closed her mouth and then scooted her chair away from the table. She flourished her hands as if presenting herself as a prize. "Take a good look. Are you willing to give all this up? Be sure. Be very sure, because I won't be single long."

For a moment, he weakened, but then reminded himself that he'd never have stronger feelings for her. "I hope not, you deserve more. Friends?"

She ignored him. "I suppose this is where I leave." She stood and hiked her purse over her shoulder. "Asshole."