24 | HELLO YOU

Just as Arryn thought, when she returned home, Rhys never mentioned the new setup in the extra bedroom

Just as Arryn thought, when she returned home, Rhys never mentioned the new setup in the extra bedroom. That told her he was fine with it. More than fine. And why not? He had his girlfriend at the condo. Even if there wasn't sex going on with Arryn, it had to be uncomfortable sleeping with two different women. Or maybe this was something he always did. She didn't know and didn't care. Or did she? No, she reminded herself Rhys was not anyone's Prince Charming. The truth was, men on white horses only existed in fairy tales.

She stood at her closet door and scanned the clothes. It was Friday, and she faced a double whammy. Rolland Media decided this was an excellent day to meet Rhys' new wife, and later the company Christmas party started at seven. For the interview, she'd wear her favorite sweater and leggings, then change into the plain black dress for the office celebration.

"Are you ready?" Rhys yelled from down the hall.

She pulled the sweater over her head, smoothed her curls back, and stepped from the room. "Yeah, I'm ready. Do I look all right?" Standing stone still, she spread her arms away from her body.

He eyed her head to toe. Was she mistaken, or did his eyes darken a bit? Before she had time to ruminate on that, he spoke up. "You're fine. Let's go."

On the way to the office, Rhys ran his hands up and down the steering wheel, then glanced at her. "I'm not sure what they'll ask, but you need to be prepared—why we waited to get married—how long we've been together..."

She cut him off. "Stop worrying. I won't mess this up for you. Is there anything my story needs to match, like the time we dated?"

He licked his lips, then ran his hand over his mouth. "No. I was vague about everything I told them. You know how much is riding on this. My whole future—and yours. If I lose my job..."

She placed her hand on his arm. "Stop it! You won't lose your job. They'd be idiots to replace you, so relax."

"No, you don't understand." He shook his head, and it was the first time she'd heard fear in his voice. "They have guys in their other offices they can transfer. They may not have the client base I have, but they've been with Rolland for years, and they are family men. My job is on the line." Rhys wheeled into a parking spot, killed the engine, and took a deep breath. "This is it."

Arryn reached across the seat and patted his hand. "You'll be fine. Just follow my lead."

"I guess I don't have a choice."

Maybe it was selfish, but Arryn liked that Rhys' fate might rest in her hands. It was the first time since they'd married she felt equal to him. He'd furnished her with everything, and regardless of his affair, or his hatred for her, she wanted to repay him, and this was her chance.

They took the elevator to the third floor, and when the doors opened, Melissa sat at a desk outside a room with glass walls.

"Well, good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Wakefield."