FORTY-NINE

"the best people in life are free"

*

"What can I get you?" Madam Rosmerta asked, throwing in a fun wink that usually increased her tips. "I suppose your trips to my pub are limited now, boys."

With spring finally banishing the cold weather away, the windows of the Three Broomsticks had been thrown open, allowing a sweet wind to blow into the pub. After their usual raid of Honeyduke's, the boys flooded into their favorite spot in Hogsmeade, savoring one of their last trips together.

Sirius grinned and brushed his hair out of his stunning gray eyes. "Nah. I'll always pop in to visit you, darling."

"Don't let your girl hear you talking like that," she rebuked him with a smile.

"But Rosmerta, I'm madly in love with you! I can't deny the chemistry between us. Forget the age difference! Forget Eva! Forget these idiots here! I've got a motorcycle and a wildly beating heart! We'll hide away in the countryside and-"

"Chill out, mate," James said impatiently. "I want something to drink!"

Everyone laughed.

"All right, lads, what'll it be?"

"Four butterbeers, please," Peter said, eager to down the delicious beverage. "Make 'em cold."

Remus held up a hand. "Make that three."

Her cherry-red lips pursed into a frown. "What about you, Mr. Lupin?"

"I'll just take a water, thanks."

The blonde bartender bobbed her head and scurried away, her curvy hips swaying back and forth in a way that caught the attention of all four boys. Their mouths hung open for a moment until Remus came to his senses. He snapped a finger in front of their faces.

"Oi! You've got a girlfriend, you've got a Lily, and you've got more dignity than making eyes at a forty year old woman."

James chuckled and pushed his glasses up his nose with a knuckle. "I don't have a Lily. And off the high horse with you, Remus. Don't act like you weren't looking, too."

"I'm newly single. Leave me alone."

"Rubbish. That was months ago, mate! Move on already!" James pushed him jokingly. Remus only raised his eyebrows, an amused smirk on his scarred face. Everyone knew he never really got over Kriss, but they didn't let him stay depressed for long.

"What about you, Padfoot?" Peter asked. "Looking at Rosmerta when Eva could walk in on us any minute?"

"Rosmerta's got nothing on Blondie," Sirius answered resolutely, a smile creeping onto his face. "Besides, if I talked to Eva like that, she'd ask what I was on."