Chapter 18

What gave Silv even semblance of comfort was the fact that Wir Eis and her were put in the same holding cell, that she was not alone. Although she found it odd that the only person she could count on in her hour of need wasn't even human.

That revelation made her wonder if perhaps humans, as a species, were untrustworthy. If she was not as dependable as she believed herself to be. After all, she promised to help Wir Eis but ended up being the cause of his imprisonment.

If she hadn't blindly trusted emotions, the very thing that was rare in the human society in her day and age, they wouldn't have been in the trouble they were in. Wir Eis wouldn't have faced death because of her. Yet, she relied on her emotions, on her love for her grandmother, and was painfully betrayed.

Perhaps being a logical machine was much better, less painful, yet if that were the case, she would have never agreed to help the ones who truly needed help, such as Wir Eis. Though, wanting to help was not the same as helping as she came to realise from her recent experience.

"Silv okay?" Wir Eis asked.

"The one person I cared about more than anyone in the world has betrayed me. I failed in helping you, and your people finally be free. We are rotting in this holding cell because of me, so no, I am definitely not okay." Silv said.

An odd expression crossed Wir Eis's face, but since Silv wasn't good at reading alien facial expressions, she had no idea what it meant. In her opinion, it was probably a sense of disappointment however, his next words denied the truth of Silv's opinion.

"Silv and Wir Eis be okay," Wir Eis said, confidently.

Silv couldn't help but wonder if aliens had some source of boundless positivity or if her new alien friend was just crazy. Either way, she didn't share his positive outlook on their future.

She knew beyond doubt that they were lost, that there was no way out. Though she tried to make peace with their horrible fate, it was impossible. During her military training, she was sure that she would be ready to die for the Government, for the well-being of her people, but when faced with death looming so close by, she didn't have the same amount of bravery.

When death was just an abstract notion, she could accept it, even wish for an honorable death, but when it was breathing down her neck, all she wanted to do was to live.

After what felt like days but was probably hours, Silv heard a commotion in the hallway. It was louder than she expected, but she knew what it meant. They were coming for them, for Wir Eis most likely. Then, she would be next.

"It time." Wir Eis said.

Silv was annoyed that he was so calm about the terrible fate that was about to come their way. On her part, she wanted to die fighting, not just calmly accepting her fate the way Wir Eis seemed to do.

When the electric field of their holding cell finally disappeared, Silv was surprised to see Arthur standing there, smiling broadly, instead of the guards she expected. It was difficult for her to accept that her favorite AI would come to gloat over her terrible fate. She thought she meant more to him than that.

Accepting how wrong she was about everything and everyone was a necessity. Thus, she petulantly offered her wrists to be bound in magnetic cuffs, closing her eyes so as not to have to see her former friend while he did so.

Since a few moments passed since she offered her hands and nothing happened, Silv cracked her eyes open to see what the hold up was. What she saw defied logic.

Wir Eis was standing outside the cell with Arthur, his hands conspicuously uncuffed, as Arthur motioned for her to go on without ever pulling out the cuffs.

'Do they really think I will go calmly, just because they are sending a familiar face to fetch me?' Silv wondered.

Not wanting to miss her opportunity, while at the same time wondering why Wir Eis wasn't following her example, Silv did what any normal person in her situation would do. She attacked.

In a flash, she was out of her cell, and sooner than anyone had any time to react, she had Arthur pinned to the ground. Though her movements were sure and precise, in her mind she struggled with the very idea that she had to attack someone she cared about, a friend.

"Arthur, help. Silv let Arthur go." Wir Eis said.

"What are you talking about? He led me into the trap. Are you crazy?" Silv hissed at Wir Eis.

"Let go. He better explain. My human speak not good enough." Wir Eis said.

"Fine, but be careful, I am watching you. One wrong move and they will be using your body for spare parts." Silv warned Arthur.

"I shall ignore the utter unladylike behavior that you displayed and provide you with the necessary information. I do believe Rose and I had taught you better manners but since we are short of time, I'll ignore it. I shall send you what the camera I left in the maintenance room recorded. That way we won't get caught yet again." Arthur said.

As he said that a small holo-screen hovered in front of Silv revealing the small maintenance room moments after she and Arthur had left. The first image that flashed across the screen did nothing to convince her of anyone's innocence in the matter, but as the video went on, she changed her mind.

The moment they left the room, Rose had her gun aimed at Wir Eis.

"Let's talk," Silv could hear Rose say, her gun leveled with his head.

"What this?" Wir Eis asked, in surprise.

"What are you doing here? Were you telling my granddaughter the truth or is this about revenge? Are you using my granddaughter to hurt us, or do you need help?" Rose asked.

She then proceeded to put her hands on Wir Eis' neck, where the pulsating vein lay and waited for the reply.

"Need help. Go back home." Wir Eis said.

Seeing the confused expression on Silv's face, the Wir Eis standing before her explained.

"Heartbeat never lie. Rose check if true," he said.

"True. Okay, let's see. Do you mean us any harm?" Rose asked.

"No," Wir Eis on the screen replied.

"Alright. I had to do something bad, and Silv won't like it. I had to betray her to save her. I will help the two of you, but you need to do exactly what I say. Here is the plan." Rose said.

Before Silv could hear the plan, Arthur cut the feed in a hurry.

"This has to be enough for now. Other guards are too close for us to watch the whole thing. I need you to trust me and follow me. Can you do that?" Arthur asked.

Silv didn't trust him, not completely anyway, but what choice did she have? After all, what other reasons he could have for coming to her rescue if not to help them?

"Do you trust him and Rose?" she asked Wir Eis.

"Yes," Wir Eis said.

If the person who was held at gunpoint by Rose could trust her, Silv guessed she had no other option, but try to do the same.

"We'll come with you, but I don't trust you, nor Rose, for that matter. You'll need to do a lot more to convince me." Silv said.

"Noted. We will. As soon as possible. Now we have to go. We have to reach the exit before they realise we are gone." Arthur said, leading the way.