Chapter 31

Silv was surprised to note that following an alien down a creepy dark tunnel covered in slime was more comfortable to her than facing human cruelty. It was a difficult realization for her to make that she felt safer the farther away she was from the 'civilization' as humans chose to call what they had.

What kind of creatures viciously tortured other living beings? Who else would betray their own friends, even their families?

Everything Silv had believed in came crashing down, and it seemed as if the only one who had never failed her was Wir Eis, an alien.

The Government whom Silv respected for what she believed to be generosity in providing for all the humans, turned out to be just another dictatorship. It was no different than the ones she saw files about, the ones that happened before the ice age reclaimed all that there was.

For all the progress the technology had made, it seemed as if the human government hadn't changed much. If anything, it became worse.

"Are you okay, my dear?" Rose asked as they followed Wir Eis through some slightly cleaner tunnels.

"I am fine. It's just starting to sink in. Everything I've ever believed in, everything I've ever known was a lie." Silv said.

"Well, not everything. Don't get disheartened by what happened. Bad things happen, we shouldn't let that discourage us from moving on." Rose said.

"Why not? What's left?" Silv asked angrily.

"There are still good people left in the world, Silv. You just need to learn to go past your prejudices. Yes, you've been betrayed, it happens to the best of us. The important thing is not to allow it to break you." Rose said.

"How?" Silv asked, wishing to find a way out of the dark place her mind was in.

"By focusing on the good things, on what we are fighting to accomplish. Justin and his people have proved their worth to me many times. Otherwise, I wouldn't have taken the risks I took to help them in their fight. They deserve our help now." Rose said.

"I don't know them. I can't trust someone just because you do." Silv said.

"That's fair. What about Wir Eis?" Rose asked.

"What about him?" Silv asked.

"Do you trust him?" Rose asked.

"Yes. I trust Wir Eis and Evanescence." Silv said, surprising even herself.

"There you go. Fight for them. Set aside all your grievances for now. You will have more than enough time to go through them when all of this is over." Rose said.

"You're right. Thank you." Silv said.

"Happy to help, my dear," Rose said, taking the lead with Wir Eis.

Soon, they went through a small doorway that seemed to have been made by the phaser, and they were in the hanger.

"Wow," Justin said as his eyes beheld the majesty that was Evanescence.

Though she had nothing to do with how breathtaking the spaceship was, Silv felt a swell of pride. It was as if someone was complimenting her child.

Since she found it odd that she would feel like that about an alien ship, Silv decided to distract herself.

"Magnificent, isn't she?" Silv asked.

"That she is," Rose replied as Justin was too busy gawking at the ship.

He felt like a small child finally being allowed to eat candy after years of being deprived of the delicacy.

Loud banging on the door that led back to the base snapped them out of their fascination. Presently, they all rushed on board.

"Work fast. Door don't hold long." Wir Eis warned.

However, once they entered the ship, a loud rumbling and shaking followed their arrival.

"What's happening, Wir Eis?" Silv asked.

"Ship scared. Humans unfamiliar." Wir Eis said.

"What do you mean? I was here before, and nothing happened." Silv said.

"One human no danger. More danger." Wir Eis explained.

"We don't have time for this. Where is the engine room?" Rose asked curtly.

"We will make time! Don't you get it? She is sentient, and she is scared! We can't just go running around without explaining this to her." Silv said determinedly.

Rose was about to rebuke her granddaughter for being oversensitive when Arthur interrupted their conversation.

"Mistresses, why don't we split up? We can go to the engine room, and Mistress Silv and Wir Eis can go and calm down the ship. We all know we won't be able to do anything if she keeps shaking like this." Arthur said.

"You are right, Arthur. Justin, you come with me as well since this is your field of expertise. Silv, you and Wir Eis calm it down as soon as possible." Rose said.

"Her. We'll do our best," Silv said.

'Wir Eis, are your people all aboard the ship?" Rose asked.

"Yes. Ready for departure." Wir Eis said.

"Alright, then make sure you close the entrance and send one of your people our way. We'll need your knowledge of the ship mechanics, and we might need your strength as well." Rose said.

"I go." Sei Eis said.

"Are you sure? You don't seem to like us much?" Rose asked.

"She mechanic." Wir Eis said.

"Alright, lead the way," Rose said.

As they headed for the engine room, Silv and Wir Eis went to the control room.

"Has she ever been like this before?" Silv asked Wir Eis as they walked swiftly down the corridors.

"No." Wir Eis said.

"I have to connect with her again," Silv said.

"Silv calm?" Wir Eis asked.

"I'll have to be. If nothing else, I think I can make Evanescence understand that we mean her no harm and that we are here to help." Silv said.

"Evanescence scared. Silv be in danger." Wir Eis said.

"I guess that's the risk I am willing to take," Silv said.

"Wir Eis connect with Evanescence." Wir Eis said.

"I think she needs to hear this from me. Maybe the telepathic connection will help her understand what our intentions are." Silv said.

"Okay." Wir Eis said, not sounding happy by the prospect.

"I'll be fine, don't worry," Silv said, accurately interpreting her friend's mood.

As they reached the control room, Silv immediately went to work.

However, this time, when she tried to connect with Evanescence, there was resistance.

"Let me in, please, let me in," Silv mumbled as sweat ran down her face.

Tingling pain started spreading from her hands into every part of her body, but she refused to give up. Evanescence needed to see the truth.

"Aaargh," Silv screamed out in utter agony as her head lulled back, and her body slumped forward.