Chapter 29

As they continued their way towards area 51, it started snowing heavily. Though it wasn't as horrible as the snowstorms that used to plague the human race when the ice age first began, it was still strong enough to slow their advance.

Wearing technologically enhanced clothing, Silv and Rose could only feel the snow's cold touch on their faces and even that wouldn't last for long. The heaters embedded in their clothing took care of that.

However, the same couldn't be said for Justin. Since he was wearing regular clothing, he kept hunching over, trying to preserve at least some of his body heat and his whole body shivered violently from the cold.

Though he wore multiple layers of clothing, it wasn't even close enough to keep him warm. It was barely enough to keep him alive and moving.

Justin was lucky that the temperatures weren't as low as they were in the first few years since he would have been dead if that was the case.

"We...wil-ll...be the-re...sooo-n." Justin said, his teeth chattering.

Asking what exactly he meant would have been beyond cruel, so Silv kept quiet, sure that everything would be revealed at the right moment.

She even subtly shuffled closer to Justin hoping that some of the warmth radiating from her suit would warm him up as well. It worked better than she expected. Silv could see by the way Justin straightened his posture and by the way he stopped shivering. Although she didn't really like the guy, Silv was happy to help him out.

When he lifted his gaze to meet her eyes and gave her a warm smile, Silv thought that she might need to reevaluate her opinion of him.

"Alright, we're here. Do you recognize anything?" Justin asked a few moments later, his voice back to normal.

"Really? You do see that everything is covered in snow. There is nothing to recognize. Everything is exactly the same." Silv snapped.

However, upon seeing Justin's crestfallen expression, she remembered her promise and how mere moments ago, she thought she might have to rethink her opinion of him, she cleared her throat determined to say something nice.

"Still, I can see that these are the right coordinates. This is the starting point. It's where Denis and I started from," she said, gritting her teeth at the mention of the traitor's name.

"I am sorry." Justin suddenly said.

"You don't even know what exactly happened. What are you sorry for?" Silv asked, surprised by what he said.

"Maybe, but I recognize betrayal when I see it in someone's eyes. After all, I see it in the mirror all the time." Justin said looking at the ground.

"Oh, I didn't know. I am sorry to hear that." Silv said honestly.

The sting of betrayal that burned through her heart wasn't something she would have wished on anyone. Besides, Justin seemed like a guy who did nothing to deserve it.

"It's okay, it was a long time ago. However, I am sad to say that it still stings from time to time." Justin said as he followed Silv through the snow.

"Maybe that's for the best. It reminds you that we can feel and that we shouldn't trust just anyone." Silv said.

"That's a good point. Is that why you don't trust me?" Justin asked, surprising Silv.

"No. Well, not completely. You see, I've just been through too much in a short time. My friend betrayed me, I met aliens, I thought my grandmother betrayed me... Trusting you seems like asking for trouble when I don't trust even the people closest to me." Silv said surprised by her own honestly.

"Besides, I don't know anything about you, except that you like to be in charge," Silv added.

"That's a fair point, but I don't know anything about you either. I thought I knew Vi...Rose but I was wrong. Plus, I am outnumbered by your people, yet I still act civil." Justin said.

"You are right. I am sorry. I guess working for the Government makes you lose your manners." Silv said.

"That's alright as long as we can try to learn to get along. Deal?" Justin asked.

"Deal," Silv replied.

After that, they continued walking in silence since Silv needed to focus all her attention on getting them as close to the base as possible but not too close since she expected to have company.

"Okay, Wir Eis, I think we shouldn't go any further than this. We'll be spotted. Can we reach the spaceship from here?" Silv asked.

"Silv sure not closer?" Wir Eis asked deep in thought.

"We might be able to go a few more meters, but it would be too risky. Why?" Silv asked.

"Secret tunnels. Entrance." Wir Eis said pointing at a large pile of snow that was quite a good distance from them.

"Isn't there any other way?" Silv asked getting anxious.

"Tunnels long. But the big entrance there." Wir Eis said.

Silv thought she understood what her alien friend was saying. Though the tunnels spread much further, the entrance that was large enough for them to go through was far too close to the base.

Furthermore, Silv couldn't help but wonder why they had such long tunnels that they could access in only one place.

Even the humans of before times whom Silv considered ignorant had made multiple entries into their bunkers.

Seeing Silv's confused expression, Wir Eis decided to try to explain.

"Sewer," he said pointing at the ground under them.

"I beg your pardon? You are saying that you built your own sewer system? What for?" Rose asked interrupting the conversation.

"Wait a minute. Don't answer me. I don't want to know." Rose said.

"We can blast our way through," Arthur said wanting to try out some of his not so friendly gadgets.

"Waste explode." Wir Eis said.

The others tried their best not to think what kind of waste the alien was talking about but it was clear from the disgusted facial expressions that they were failing in their attempts.

"We can't give up now! We've come too far for that. What can we do?" Silv asked exasperated.

Everyone contemplated what their next move should be but the answer came from the most unexpected place.

"Sister help. Phaser now work." Wir Eis said after he had spent a few seconds with his eyes closed communicating with his sister.

"What is a phaser?" Justin asked, not liking the sound of it.

"It make ground disappear." Wir Eis said.

"Can it make us disappear as well?" Justin asked gulping loudly.

"Yes, if too close." Wir Eis said calmly.

"You mean to tell me that if we stand too close to the place where your sister will use the phaser from below, we can cease to exist?" Silv asked to make sure she understood correctly.

"Yes, disintegrate." Wir Eis replied.