Chapter Ten

"Hello?" My dad said as he picked up the phone.

"Hi dad." I replied.

"Oh Arabella! I have news for you." He said and I nervously bit my lip. "We're moving back in the city!"

"W-what? Why?" I asked shocked. My dad had moved out of the city years ago with his girlfriend and her daughter.

"Mackenzie misses it here so we decided to move back." My dad simply said.

"But what about your job? And Mira's school?" I asked confused.

"I got transferred here and I put Mira in your school isn't that amazing?" My dad happily said and I wanted to say no but I refrained myself.

"I guess." I replied still trying to register the news.

"Why don't you sound exited sweetie? I'll get to see you more often!" He said and I inwardly scoffed.

"You never wanted to see me before.." I muttered.

"Well things are going to change now. You can spend more time with your sister too." He said.

"She's not my sister." I said with a huff.

"Don't be like that Arabella. What has she done to you?" My dad scolded and I rolled my eyes.

"When are you coming back?" I asked.

"Next week." He said and I sighed.

"Okay..." I replied. "I need to go now I'll talk to you later."

"Okay bye Bella see you soon." He hung up the phone and I rubbed my forehead tiredly.

I didn't know how to feel about this.

"What did your father want?" Mom asked as she came into my room and sat down on the bed next to me.

"They're moving back here." I told her and her eyes widened.

My parents started dating in college and my mom was hopelessly in love with my dad. My dad loved her too but it wasn't enough to last a lifetime. During my last year of middle school he told my mom he wanted a divorce.

My mom didn't ask why, she didn't beg for him to stay neither did she shed a single tear in front of him.

She just looked at him with empty eyes and said okay.

I was there that day to witness my parents agreeing for divorce.

A month later he introduced me to his new girlfriend and her daughter before moving away and out of our lives.

"When?" My mom asked.

"Next week" I answered and grabbed her hand in comfort.

"Are you going to be okay?" I asked her.

"Don't worry about me sweetheart. Just focus on your exams okay? Don't let anything distract you." She said and kissed my forehead and left the room.

Even if my mom hadn't cried in front of her ex husband I could hear her crying for days after he left. Every night she would come home eat dinner than go to her room and cry while looking through their marriage album.

She started working longer shifts at the hospital and distracted herself with work until she was okay again.

I was studying for chemistry when the doorbell rang.

"Hey!" I said as I ushered Anissa in. We went in my room and I put my shopping bag in my closet.

"What's up?" I asked her as I plopped back on my bed.