Chapter 60

A few days later :

She was standing there in the court yet again. For the same reason. Only against a different person. 

Stephanie stood firmly in the victim box. Unlike last time, she was confident and strong here. 

Since the miscarriage, she had returned to her old self. The one who was numb inside. The one who never cried and was as emotionless as the criminal himself. 

Chris was worse though.

He had stopped crying but every time he smiled it looked like he was in tremendous pain. 

The couple were broken and it was going to take a lot of time for them to heal.
Together.

The court trial had been smooth. Brandon had nothing in his favor. The evidences were weak and witnesses were none.

Troy had narrated his story which almost ended the entire game, and  so did Detective Jake.

Mr. Rankin, i.e, Uncle Jon, was terrific himself.
Even Aunt Angela had spoken against Brandon. She looked in a bad shape but yet seemed to be better.

Prison time is serving her well.

The only problem in the entire situation was that Nathan was missing and so was the white folder.

Stephanie, Chris, Steve or Marilene.
None of them had heard nothing from him. It's like he vanished into thin air.
Like the last time.

"He murdered her parents, brother and almost succeeded in killing her. The defendant has nothing in his favor. We shouldn't even be dragging it on.", Mr.Rankin concluded with his point at the end.

"Your Honor, we request some more time", Brandon's lawyer said.

So it was decided.
Three days. They had three days to themselves.

*

Everything had gone as according to the plan. All was normal as much as possible. They were in the court after three days and yet there was nothing in Brandon's favor.

The only thing different were two things.

Nathan's presence in the court and the folder that he held in his hand.
The white folder.

Stephanie didn't show it but she was curious as hell as to what it contained. After all, her aunt and Brandon had destroyed her life because of a folder she didn't even know existed.

Mr.Rankin was questioning Nathan at the moment.

"So you were in hiding before you were tortured and beaten up.... Might I ask why?", he asked.

"Cause I was the only person who actually knew where this was after Troy", Nathan justified, tapping the folder with his hand.

"Can you tell us what it says?"

"Of course! I didn't bring it to play 'Catch me if you can' now....", Nathan scoffed. "It holds two signatures from Aunt Angela and Brandon."

Mr.Rankin's face cringed on hearing the word 'Aunt' but he recovered quickly and asked the next question.

"Regarding what?"

Stephanie's heart was pounding hard. She was eagerly waiting to hear next.

Nathan held a big fat smirk on his face.

"It is a contract signed between Aunt and Brandon on one side and a mafia gang on the other side. I know this gang because I was a part of it until lately. That's how  I reached Brandon and Troy and also got hold of this folder. It states exactly that he wanted to hire the best from the gang for an extermination and interrogation cause. If he wins the company then 35% of the profit would go to the gang as payment. Man didn't have the money to even buy the gang men. The audacity.....", Nathan laughed slightly.

The white folder was given to the judges while Brandon stood there under a dreadful shock.
And so was Aunt Angela.

*

To Stephanie, this felt unreal and stupid. She had to give up her baby for a......for a..........
Contract?!

If that wasn't the most absurd thing then nothing else could be.

The judging panel showed no hints as to what they were thinking of. Stephanie looked at the two people who had ruined her what could have been a wonderful and happy life on Earth.  The contrast in the two of their faces were amusing.

Her aunt was not afraid but was definitely consternated. As if there was something she had just discovered. On the other hand, Brandon looked scared and  yet confident. His shoulders were upright in a proud position and he observed the judges like a skeptical professor. 

It seemed to Stephanie as if he was expecting to be let off easily.

"Did you know?", a person said.
"Know what?", said another.
"That Brandon guy and the deciding Judge know each other well."
"Really?!"
"Yes! Why do you think the Brandon Collins even got those three days extra when it was clear he was the culprit?"
"I see... Then he might not even be sentenced for more than a year or so?"
"It is possible."
"Wow. That's really strange..."

Strange?
Exactly. It was so strange.

A life had been thrown into the pits of unknown before it even had the chance to start properly. That too for a mind-blogging reason which she refused to understand and now she was probably not even going to receive the justice for it?
This was indeed strange......

Stephanie's legs began to shake furiously as the deciding Judge got up. He held a paper in his hand. He looked at Brandon once before addressing the whole court.

"The judging panel have come to a conclusion."

Stephanie waited with bated breath.

Please God. Please don't be this mean to me. Please!

"We have decided to not evict Brandon in jail........."

*****

Now wait for the next update.
Vote and comments should be done as a motivation for me to continue...

LMAO!!!

^^